• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Looking for advice with adopted beardie

Abyss

Hatchling Dragon
Ok I wanted to help out this beardie someone needed to rehome it so I offered. I'm new to beardies but trying to learn as much as I can fast.

The girl who have me her seemed informed and like she knew what she was talking about but now that I have spoken with my local reptile experts, her setup for her is completely wrong.

She had a 2.0 UVB and a 50w heat lamp. She said that the dragon wouldn't eat crickets, I bought done got them home dusted them and she ate like 11 of them.

I will be removing he earth substrate in the setup tomorrow and using paper towels. It seems to really bother her when she's eating, plus paper towels are way easier to clean.

She had said that she put the calcium powder in her water? I'm like wtf I'm new to these guys but even I knew that sounded wrong.
I just misted her and set a bowl up with some collars green, bok choy, butternut squash, cucumber and blueberries for a treat but she hasn't seemed to want to touch it, hopefully she will later tonight.

I'm on a really tight budgets so I picked up what I could afford to make her situation better as fast as I could but I have a few predicaments that in worried about.

She said she was a year and a half and seems quite small for her age... She wasn't giving her the proper lighting do I'm hoping that the better light helps.

Here is the situation, she came with an exo terra 18x18x24. I know from my research that its way too small for an adult dragon so in the next few months in planning on making her a melamine 4x2x2 enclosure.

Do you guys think she will be fine until then?

Another issue is the thermometer they had its am exo terra one but they taped it with some kind of 2 sides tape and its not under the basking spot and I can't remove it. I have aquariums could I use one of my digital aquarium type thermometers (the type with the metal end and suction cup) until I can afford to get a better digital one or a gun?

They had a massive hide in the tank that she doesn't really use for shade more so for a basking spot. The thing I'm worried about is the cold side the tank isn't really that big to have too much shade. I placed one if her large leaved fake plants on the opposite end of the tank and tried to use the leaves as shade will this do? I'm hoping it will be ok until I can get a thermo for each end of the tank.

I didn't realize the setup was going to be do unsuitable but I'm trying the best I can to fix the situation, I've had her for just a day now and I'm already in love with her!!!

Here are some pics hope you can give me some helpful tips (anything I can do cheaper the better!)

Thanks for your time!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393710922.033685.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393710948.869767.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393710993.816680.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393711017.950547.jpg

I have now changed it to a

Abyss

Hatchling Dragon
Another issue I have is that once my dad noticed I was using live crickets he told me he didn't want anymore in the house, is their an alternative protein source I can use instead of crickets? Alrhough I might try sneak some once in a while. Shhhh lol but he said he's fine with me bringing in any type of worms. Any advice?

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Repti-worms, calci-worms, Phoenix worms are ok sources for feeders. Crickets or Dubai's the best thing to give to them.

Tank is too small though because they will grow. So it's best to get a bigger tank.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Crickets are noisy and smelly. And they dont have a real long life span. She should be eating lots of greens. Why doesnt he want the crickets? Dubia roaches are super easy to keep. They dont make noise. The dont stink and the cant climb or fly out of a mooth sided contsiner. Do your research before talking to dad about them tho. How long is your girl? Worms: super, silk, phoenix. Chop those greens!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've got a colony of crickets. Only feeder allowed in the house except for the treat worms.

Abyss

Hatchling Dragon
My dad thinks they will escape and fornicate and he will have to fumigate he house... He doesn't believe me when I say it won't be an issue.

I'll check out my local and see I think I can get superworms but they wont have silkworms (which ive read are great to use)in for a while. I'm in Canada and I believe dubia roaches are illegal.. No one sells them.

I've chopped the salad up pretty well and bite sized as I could cut them SMS shredded the awash with a peeler.

Hoping to have an enclosure built by next month. :)

I had a question about stunting? Many people I've talked to have said she's really small for her age. The girl said she was a year old but from whet I've seen she's very small. If she was stunted would it affect her health?

She seems like she is getting a better appetite since I've placed in the correct lighting for her.

Abyss

Hatchling Dragon
How long is your girl?[/quote said:
I'll have to get the measuring tape out tomorrow and see then ill let you know for sure. Tomorrow is a busy day I have 2 1/2 hours if tank maintenance then we are going to a local reptile show then back home and I'm removing the crappy substrate that was in there and putting in some paper towel until I can get some reptile carpet.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Have fun!! Ps - whats her name?

Abyss

Hatchling Dragon
Her previous name was Sarah but I renamed her Isis, since Isis is a sun goddess I thought it was fitting, plus the band Isis is great lol

I'm still concerned with her appetite... I managed to game feed her one blueberry.. She won't touch her salad and since about 9:30 she's only eaten about 7 or 8 medium sized crickets. I left done I. Her enclosure but she just doesn't seen to want to chase them.

Her previous owner wasn't feeding her them so I guess she isn't used to having yo chase them.

Since my dad isn't letting me get anymore it will be a nice treat for her

TarynLee

Hatchling Dragon
Def the wrong type of cage, as you know. Not enough floor space and way too tall. Phoenix worms, calciworms, dubias are all good food options.
The little sticky thermometers are pretty useless anyway, so use a digital thermometer or a temp gun. I just got my own from Amazon and it is awesome!
Most dragons don't need water in their tank as they won't drink it like mammals would. They require regular bathing and spraying to absorb water that way.

You're doing a great job collecting research and I'm glad you adopted her. Congrats!
Welcome Isis! :)

TarynLee

Hatchling Dragon
Oh also she will need her protein source vitamin dusted. Not the water, you are correct there
For adult beardies it's calcium 2x week and multivitamin 1x week.

Drewz74

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Most dragons don't need water in their tank as they won't drink it like mammals would. They require regular bathing and spraying to absorb water that way.

I'd disagree with this. Just yesterday I was reading about a study that claimed no reptile actually absorbs water through their skin. In the wild beardeds are eating succulent plants, which are very high in water content, and get it that way. We don't usually feed these types of plants though so they should still be offered water.
Whether you believe this or not, it can't hurt to have some water in there. Just use some shallow dish you have laying around.

Also, I've seen all of my reptiles drinking out of their bowl at least once so I personally think it's always needed.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'd disagree with this. Just yesterday I was reading about a study that claimed no reptile actually absorbs water through their skin. In the wild beardeds are eating succulent plants, which are very high in water content, and get it that way. We don't usually feed these types of plants though so they should still be offered water.
Whether you believe this or not, it can't hurt to have some water in there. Just use some shallow dish you have laying around.

Also, I've seen all of my reptiles drinking out of their bowl at least once so I personally think it's always needed.

Your correct about beardies getting there water source from plants in the wild that hold the water. And also right that what we feed them does not hold water and offers very little of it. Also right about most reptiles not absorbing water threw there vent.

That being said alot of reptiles also can not see standing water beardies being one of them. Over time they may be taught and learn where the water source is.

Another way to do it is when you add your greens have them literally in water that way beardie gets its greens and water all in one. And helps in not letting go the greens dry out threw the day.

Drewz74

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Another way to do it is when you add your greens have them literally in water that way beardie gets its greens and water all in one. And helps in not letting go the greens dry out threw the day.

I'll have to try this. I really like the idea of it.
I didn't know some reptiles couldn't see water. I'm new to beardies, I've mostly been a snake person till fairly recently.

Abyss

Hatchling Dragon
Well there have been tons if changes since my last posting in this thread.

I've went out and got my Isis a brand new Exo terra 36x18x18, which is toooons of room compared to her old diggs.

She's finally got a basking temp of 100+ and for the first time ever today I saw her gaping which could only be a good thing, def means she's getting some good temps.

She seems like she's been eating more crix, but still won't eat her greens.. I'm trying to get her too but very frustrating. I'm just happy she's getting proteins in. She's getting calcium and vitas on alternating days.

I even went out and got her a piece of java wood to let her scale if she wants to go higher but I have to manually put her on it and I'm unsure if she can get back down so I've just left her in her lower basking area.

The fact of her not being able to move has been bothering me. The most she can do is scurry up onto her lower basking area. I put her on the floor occasionally but all I've seen her do is run in place.

Those back legs are so lame for her I feel bad. I'm so envious of all you 'parents' that can leash or let your dragons roam the house.

I'm hoping one day she will make some progress on that front.

I had a question about a crix alternative and I know that some of you don't even bother with them, plus I know the extra fat a worm would bring can't hurt her with building some fat/mussel stores.

I can't keep crix anymore so shoot some of your fave alternatives too me. Cost is an issue.

Where I am in Canada dubia are illegal, silkworms are just insanely priced. (Really wish I could get these they are highly recommended on that nutrition beardie page I like) silks are running about $55 for 100 here so I can't afford them...

My cheapest options are:
Superworms
Mealworms

Opinions??
I can get away with a week of crix every summer when we take our summer vacation because I will not be in 'their' house.

If also throw in some hornworms/wax/butters for treats.

Thanks all ;)
Ps I will be updating my profile and avatar as soon as I can manage to get on my desktop

Latest posts