• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

locusts vs crickets

petcrazy16

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I have read somewhere that crickets have more food valaue than locusts which is correct should I give tango crickets rather than locusts he eats 4 x large locusts in a day gave him crickets today andhe ate 17 of them . so do I buy crickets from now on

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes crickets are better all around with locusts having more protein..
Crickets are very sensitive to odors and temps, roaches are way easier all around.

laswabbie

Juvenile Dragon
/\ I concur wholeheartedly. I came into this thinking crickets as they were what I was used to and I have a cricket farm just a few miles from here. As soon as I got my dubia starter colony, however, it became obvious that they were the way to go. I also feed Falkor superworms. They are easy to get and hardy. He will eat as many as I will let him. I just ordered some hornworm kits to try. We'll see how they work out as a an occasional treat.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
/\ I concur wholeheartedly. I came into this thinking crickets as they were what I was used to and I have a cricket farm just a few miles from here. As soon as I got my dubia starter colony, however, it became obvious that they were the way to go. I also feed Falkor superworms. They are easy to get and hardy. He will eat as many as I will let him. I just ordered some hornworm kits to try. We'll see how they work out as a an occasional treat.
Yea I feed dubia, supers as a staple and as treats they get butterworms, waxworms, phoenix worms, I tried hornworms but my female didn't even try them and by the time I got Simon they were too huge for him..

petcrazy16

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
don't think I can dubias in the uk . I think we only get meal worms. crickets and locusts don't know about butter worms here in the uk

Latest posts