• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

loathing crickets

mama

Hatchling Dragon
Uggg.....I hate those buggers. Worf catches only a couple at a time, fortunately if I can catch one he will usually eat it from my fingers. He doesn't seem interested in eating more than 3 at a time. I have been feeding him in his enclosure because this is his first week with us and he is a little one (not quite 5 wks yet) and I don't want to over stress him by feeding in a separate enclosure. I am so tired of trying to catch those stinky smelly obnoxious crickets!

This weekend I will be buying a smallish amount of dubias. My fingers are crossed that Worf will like them. I want to offer phoenix worms too but the 2 reptile stores here don't have any right now and I am afraid to order a large amount online and he hate them.

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Welcome to the club, lol. I could only put up with them for about a month! :mad: They always escaped, smelled, died fast, a hassle to get out of the viv when Midna didn't want to eat them all (she refused to eat out of her viv). My front porch smelled horrible from them. The most I had of them at one time was about 100 and yet the smell was gross. I am super happy that I found an alternative feeder to use. Ok, my cricket rant is over, lol :oops:

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Uggg.....I hate those buggers. Worf catches only a couple at a time, fortunately if I can catch one he will usually eat it from my fingers. He doesn't seem interested in eating more than 3 at a time. I have been feeding him in his enclosure because this is his first week with us and he is a little one (not quite 5 wks yet) and I don't want to over stress him by feeding in a separate enclosure. I am so tired of trying to catch those stinky smelly obnoxious crickets!

This weekend I will be buying a smallish amount of dubias. My fingers are crossed that Worf will like them. I want to offer phoenix worms too but the 2 reptile stores here don't have any right now and I am afraid to order a large amount online and he hate them.
They are obnoxious. Have you thought you might be feeding too big of crickets to him? Mine loose interest if the pet store gives them to me slightly larger than they like. They become scared of the lil crickets.

mama

Hatchling Dragon
They gave me the smallest that they had. I hand pick out all the tiny ones, which are the correct size per the space between his eyes. The 'breeder' said he was feeding pinheads, but I have yet to locate a store locally that truly has pin heads. Could it be that he is used to hunting/eating in a group environment and not all alone??
I did get him dubias yesterday...he got super excited, flew right over to the bowl I had them in, and then as soon as one came near he took off running the other direction. He did eat 3 from my hand though and liked to stalk the ones left in the bowl but that was as far as he went. I picked out the smallest ones.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
They gave me the smallest that they had. I hand pick out all the tiny ones, which are the correct size per the space between his eyes. The 'breeder' said he was feeding pinheads, but I have yet to locate a store locally that truly has pin heads. Could it be that he is used to hunting/eating in a group environment and not all alone??
I did get him dubias yesterday...he got super excited, flew right over to the bowl I had them in, and then as soon as one came near he took off running the other direction. He did eat 3 from my hand though and liked to stalk the ones left in the bowl but that was as far as he went. I picked out the smallest ones.
Yeah, I have a hard time finding the pet stores that will sell them to me "just right". If they're too small they have to eat too many to get full, and if they're too big they'll only eat a couple before hiding from them. I found one that will order them for me by the box, which actually is cheaper then if I were to buy them online, and they can order to the correct size. I know when I kept my last two that I kept they would go through a week or so where they were eating less, then they would pick right back up. Careful you don't spoil him! He might get used to being hand fed and only eat that way.

mama

Hatchling Dragon
Careful you don't spoil him! He might get used to being hand fed and only eat that way.

He ate 9 so far today w/o me holding any. Phew.....I work full time and can't be hand feeding him all the time ;-) I dumped them in his dish and he went running over. I think that I will be ordering them online. I only bought a few dozen and I have die offs already, the place (only place local you that sells them outside of a colony) isn't the nicest, so I'm sure that's why there are dead ones now. Unless I stink at taking care of roaches.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
He ate 9 so far today w/o me holding any. Phew.....I work full time and can't be hand feeding him all the time ;-) I dumped them in his dish and he went running over. I think that I will be ordering them online. I only bought a few dozen and I have die offs already, the place (only place local you that sells them outside of a colony) isn't the nicest, so I'm sure that's why there are dead ones now. Unless I stink at taking care of roaches.
If you can't afford to get him in the habit of hand feeding, only do it on a rare occasion. Glad he ate from the tank!

Frankie Bedford

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to the club, lol. I could only put up with them for about a month! :mad: They always escaped, smelled, died fast, a hassle to get out of the viv when Midna didn't want to eat them all (she refused to eat out of her viv). My front porch smelled horrible from them. The most I had of them at one time was about 100 and yet the smell was gross. I am super happy that I found an alternative feeder to use. Ok, my cricket rant is over, lol :oops:

what alternative feeder did you find? I seriously hate crickets too omg

mama

Hatchling Dragon
I bought some dubia roaches and he LOVES them, got excited the first time I put them in his enclosure. They don't smell and i can catch them easily, soooo much better. I also want to try phoenix worms.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Do we have any Phoenix Worm breeders here on the site? If not, we should get one

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
what alternative feeder did you find? I seriously hate crickets too omg
I used Reptiworms ( www.reptiworms.com ). Both of my girls love them and they are so much easier to deal with, lol. If you are friends with them on Facebook then you get a good discount. I think it is like 20% off your order... You can see how Yaddle turned out by me using them as her feeder.

Frankie Bedford

Bearded Dragon Egg
I used Reptiworms ( www.reptiworms.com ). Both of my girls love them and they are so much easier to deal with, lol. If you are friends with them on Facebook then you get a good discount. I think it is like 20% off your order... You can see how Yaddle turned out by me using them as her feeder.

Yaddle is gorgeous! and you get a discount if you're friends with them on facebook? Nice! How many do you give to Yaddle a day/at a time?

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
When she was growing I would fill up her bowl half way with them and leave them in her viv all day long. By the end of the night she would eat most of them. If she ate them all by the time that I got home I would give her more. Now she is at the age where she is eating more greens that protein.

Jenn_Tigercat

Bearded Dragon Egg
Dubia's are good. I like the fact that they don't climb. I feed lobster roaches. Devlin loves them and even when I set them outside his tank to put them in there he starts going for them. He gobbles them down as if there is no tomorrow.