• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lizard super busy, should I be concerned?

Birdey

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
My girl, Liz, has been super busy the last couple of days. I checked for INF eggs but there is none and I haven't bred her lately. I did a year ago and never ever going to do that again. So how come she's so busy and slight black beard? Liz has been pooing little tiny poos every day... Is that a sign she's backed up? Could there be something wrong I'm not seeing? Thanks for any response!

Chicklet

Hatchling Dragon
Saaaaaame. I’m following this thread for hope of response. I’m nervous because Chichi has been glass surfing her little butt off every day until the evening. I’m on a Facebook group and someone else’s dragon just popped out an infertile egg and was displaying the same behavior

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
They are strange creatures. Mine ran his tank for no reason for 3 years! She could just want out and have some time to run in a bigger area. What are her lights and temps like? As far as the poops, if she's pooping something every day, she's not impacted.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Could be that she want's out to run around, maybe she's just being a wild child right now, they can hold sperm for long periods of time so it's possible she's gravid (have you carefully felt her belly when in the bath to see if you can feel any eggs?) when was the last time she's been checked by a vet? and what are her temps and hows the general husbandry?

Leisl Seigler

Hatchling Dragon
mine runs around when he wants out haha sometimes though I think he just wants to move!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dugost

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ours has started doing the same in the last week or so. Glass surfing off and on all day. Rubbing her nose against the glass, clawing at it, climbing up the sides—sometimes putting her damn head right into the basking/UV light shade! We have to watch her for that so she doesn't get a burn.

She's also been pooing way more than usual. Used to be every week or even weeks and pretty much only ever in the bath, rarely in her tank. Now she's fine with going wherever and whenever. It's super fun…

She seems so stressed and it worries me so I let her out to hang out with us and she calms right down. I worry her tank is too small but I'm pretty sure it's a 50 gallon (48" wide x 12.75" deep x 19" high) and she's only 16" long.

Chicklet

Hatchling Dragon
One of my friends in a reptile group suggested this is something they do once a year when they hit sexual maturity

Birdey

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi there!
Sorry for the late response I haven't been on in a while...
PatsyB wrote
They are strange creatures. Mine ran his tank for no reason for 3 years! She could just want out and have some time to run in a bigger area. What are her lights and temps like? As far as the poops, if she's pooping something every day, she's not impacted.

And:
Hdrydr31 wrote
Could be that she want's out to run around, maybe she's just being a wild child right now, they can hold sperm for long periods of time so it's possible she's gravid (have you carefully felt her belly when in the bath to see if you can feel any eggs?) when was the last time she's been checked by a vet? and what are her temps and hows the general husbandry?

Her temps are 100 for basking bulb I use a white light, and a UVB bulb, Liz is in a 40 gallon tank. I turn them off at night.
She isn't gravid, I checked a couple of times, her last visit to the vet will be a year March 2018.

Lately Liz has chilled out, it's slackened down to maybe once a week?. But I'm glad she didn't have eggs or something else was wrong. Maybe she just wanted to stay busy? lol
Thank you all for your wonderful responses! I appreciate it greatly!

dugost

Bearded Dragon Egg
I thought ours was possibly reacting to her reflection but she would calm down after we let her out of her tank. As a test, I taped some paper on the inside where we was surfing but that didn't change her behaviour. I still don't know exactly why she does it but I can at least rule out that possibility easily. :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Ours has started doing the same in the last week or so. Glass surfing off and on all day. Rubbing her nose against the glass, clawing at it, climbing up the sides—sometimes putting her damn head right into the basking/UV light shade! We have to watch her for that so she doesn't get a burn.

She's also been pooing way more than usual. Used to be every week or even weeks and pretty much only ever in the bath, rarely in her tank. Now she's fine with going wherever and whenever. It's super fun…

She seems so stressed and it worries me so I let her out to hang out with us and she calms right down. I worry her tank is too small but I'm pretty sure it's a 50 gallon (48" wide x 12.75" deep x 19" high) and she's only 16" long.

I would get a fecal done. If she is pooping more than usual it could be a sign of parasite overload, especially if she is stressed. One of mine used to poop 4 times a day and it turned out she had pinworms. :( After treatment she pooped once a week.

dugost

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would get a fecal done. If she is pooping more than usual it could be a sign of parasite overload, especially if she is stressed. One of mine used to poop 4 times a day and it turned out she had pinworms. :( After treatment she pooped once a week.

Ugh. Ok, thanks. We may have to do that but first I'm going to change up her diet because she's recently been eating superworms that we've started gut-loading. That's not something we realized we should have been doing before.

I'm going to feed her the supers 2-3 times a week now to see if it changes anything. I've been feeding her those every day because she just won't eat salad at all so I figured the gut-loaded supers would give her the nutrients she needs. Maybe it's too much for her so I'll see what the change does. I just wish she'd poop on paper instead of her basking rock!

Chicklet

Hatchling Dragon
So my beardie inexplicably chilled out after a few weeks of this. I got a fecal done, got her a dig box which she haaaaates and have her a safe place to try and get her energy out. I’m thinking my friend was right in my case and she’d hit maturity and needed to run off her puberty. They’re so weird (but so wonderful and cute)

Honeybadger

Hatchling Dragon
Mine does this like clockwork, every January she gets frisky and needs to go out looking for a mate. Normally calms down after a few days/weeks, but then I have to deal with eggs once a month the rest of the year.

Latest posts