• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

lizard made a run for it

Dennis Cronin

Juvenile Dragon
Took him to back yard, let him sit in sun on a rock. Totally immobile for 15 minutes. Was getting ready to take him in out of boredom when suddenly he took off. Jumped from rock, ran across gravel , some grass, sidewalk to side of house and went into a hose box to hide. Didn't move at all when I reached slowly in to take him out and then of course back in the house to enclosure.

FYI, eating about 15 small crickets a day now. Getting big.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like something spooked him. Allie goes on her harness and I had her sitting on the driveway. She decided to run under the car and plopped herself down. I had to get down on the ground to go get her. (I told her not to ever go under the car again because she could get hurt.) She stopped going under the car and comes to me instead.

Dennis Cronin

Juvenile Dragon
Yeah, his lizard brain still doesn't trust/like us. I'm trying to get him used to being handled a little bit but he wiggles and attempts to escape. I'd think he'd start to associate "cricket rain" with us, but apparently not so far.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good evening, Dennis.

They usually run for cover in the wild if they feel threatened. It's like a normal behavior for them if they feel in danger.

Keep working with him and he'll soon trust you. It's like a bond of trust. You've got to show him you mean no harm and you're actually safety. (Allie really does run when she feels like it. But she doesn't get far because she's on her harness.

And she's staring right up at me with a beardie grin on her face now. She loves attention and cuddles. (Mommy and Allie time before bed.)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My 'Demon' would not let me handle him without a struggle for the first 10 months of his life before he finally decided to settle down. Some dragons just take longer than others.

Latest posts