• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Live plants

alix.brunt

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys I was thinking about putting some live plants in my beardie enclosure..
I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for something that will survive and if the beardies decide to have a bit of a munch won't harm them..
:)

MisterD83

Juvenile Dragon
Plants will raise the humidity of the enclosure when you water them.

After a quick search of Australian Desert plants the "Sturt's Desert Pea" strikes me as the most viable to plant in a viv, BUT its root system has a long tap root and doesn't take too well to be uprooted. It will also not propagate on it own in a viv but you will need to pick the seeds out as they fall cause it can (and likely will) impact a beardie as the shell sounds to be super tuff

here is the wiki for the plant http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swainsona_formosa

Aside from that a soft needle cactus would suffice as well, and I blieve one of our friends on here uses an artificial cactus.

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ive been looking for fake cactus but i cant seem to find any around my place.

Richard D.

Bearded Dragon Egg
Would creeping ivy be a safe plant to use? i was thinking of possibly using it in a custom viv instead of plastic plants

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ive tried a few different varieties but havent been able to find anything that mine didnt kill from constantly running over it after a few weeks. I think a nice big aloe plant (bigger than the dragon) could work, or there is a tough non toxic plant called the hen and chickens (Crassulaceae sp.) that Ive heard is a good option. I havent tried it yet, but Ill be getting some in within the next month. In order to have these in though, youll need to get your lighting right. Succulents require a lot of bright light in order to grow.

Latest posts