• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Limp swollen arm

GrammaArthur

Bearded Dragon Egg
Our 13 year old female's left arm went suddenly limp a few days ago, no tension there at all, and when she tries to walk it drags and she goes in circles. Yesterday it became very swollen, her fingers are splayed out, and when she lifts her head or tries to walk, she puts her weight on the left wrist, not the whole hand. She has been fostered by a friend for a few years during my irregular work schedule where I wasn't home much. I know he didn't dust her food with calcium and she didn't get sunlight, she had a lamp I had given him but she was in a very large enclosure and she didn't use the basking area. She mainly hid. He became very concerned about her health 2 weeks ago and since I'm home in isolation I was able to pick her up. She was skin and bones, sunken in, and he said she hadn't eaten in months. I have been bathing her every day, she drinks a lot, and she is ravenous. I either sit with her outside on the lawn on warm sunny days, or she spends the day in the sunny window. I'm seeing posts others are posting that the limp arm and swelling could be due to her not receiving calcium and UVB. Other posts suggest a dislocation. I cannot see or feel a difference between her two shoulders, she isn't bothered when I move her arm to try to feel for dislocation. She doesn't seem bothered by it at all other than she isn't mobile. She can't go after food so I am hand feeding her spiders (!!) and live crickets, earth worms, superworms, and gut loaded grasshoppers and force feeding her apples and greens dusted with calcium. What else should I be doing? (she won't be going back into his care again, that's a given).
ArthurSwollenArm.jpg

GrammaArthur

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you so much for all the info. Dubias are banned in Canada where we live but I can order horn worms and butter worms, and I am purchasing live crickets at a small local store. They told me there that maybe she strained herself walking around on the lawn if she hasn't moved much in a long time? She has been absolutely ravenous, she eats until there is no more, every day. She has really fattened up in the 2 weeks I have had her. Just been using the crickets and dried grasshoppers and also I have been grazing outside for her meals for now since I'm trying to avoid going into stores during this time. I did find 2 very large beetles which she got really excited about. And she loves dandelion flowers too. Today she ate the last 10 crickets, about 6 spiders, 2 earth worms, a superworm, 2 dried grasshoppers, a few dried meal worms, and some dusted apple and green grape and dandelion. It's crazy. And she poops every day in the bath. So if she is in pain (I hope not!), it doesn't stop her appetite at all. I have the Exo Terra UVB bulb lamp but should I be getting the fluorescent tube? I take her outside every time it is warm and like I said, she sits in the sunny window all day, seems pretty content there. I just hope she heals and is not in pain,
and it isn't a dislocation or break due to bone loss. Again, thank you so much for your invaluable info.

GrammaArthur

Bearded Dragon Egg
Heading out now to Petsmart ! Thank you! She had a very long warm bath last night, I kept the water pretty warm. She hunkered down into it and had a nap. Her arm looked less swollen after I took her out, and looks a bit better today. I'll keep you posted.

Latest posts