• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lights

Barking Deer

Bearded Dragon Egg
What light bulbs work best for heat and UVA / UVB?
What bulbs will work best for a 20 gal tank?

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Probably the easiest to use for a basking light are simply outdoor halogen flood lights. Make sure they are flood lights rather than spot lights so that you have a nice big area for your dragon to bask in. Normally I buy the ones listed as PAR 38 (The number after PAR is a measure of the width of the bulb, so the higher the better). Don't be fooled into buying those reptile basking bulbs at the pet store. They are the same thing, just with prettier packaging.

As for UVB in that small of an enclosure, I would recommend a fluorescent tube light. You normally want one around 2/3 as long as your enclosure. Zoomed or Arcadia make good ones.

As for UVA, the two lights listed above will give you some. Usually the lights that give you lots of uva also give off quite a bit of heat, so you may want to wait on those until you have a larger enclosure.

Henry X Stella

Hatchling Dragon
I'd say if starting a dragon in a 20gal. enclosure a 24" florescent tube fixture from WalMart would be great...They're only around $10 and you can then re-use it in your future 40gal. as you lizard grows and matures. ReptiSun10.0 is only bulb!!

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The cheap fixtures you get from Walmart will limit the output of your bulb however. It takes away the advantage of the Reptisun bulb. Since you are going to have the fixture for years, its not the thing you want to scrimp on. Spend the extra $20 on the fixture and make full use of the bulbs output. Always worth it in the end.

Latest posts