• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lightning the super dragons home

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Okay, so we purchased a 12 week old bearded dragon from a store a few weeks ago --he is only about 4-5 inches long and very sweet...but we listened to their suggestions about setting up his tank -- apparently wrongly (after reading this forum).
His tank currently is lined with desert sand and tree branches.

What SHOULD he have to be healthy?? I am in desperate need and want to get his tank set up properly asap.

Beardie_Mommy3991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Calcisand is never good for beardies. Pet stores always sugest it, to earn money, but it can cause serious inpaction issues. I personally use tile. Cheap and easy to clean. If he is that young, a cheap option is paper towels or newspaper. A 20 gallon tank is good for that saze, but to save money, just get him the 40 gal he will use for his whole life. For uvb, a reptisun 10.0 tube bulb is ideal. For basking, you can just use a household light bulb. That way, you can play with the wattages. Temps should be around 80-85 on the cool side, 90ish on the hot side, and 100-105ish wherever he basks. Don't worry. With all the smart, experienced people on this forum, you will be a beardie-expert in no time. :)

sublyme

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I def got burnt the same way by listening to the people at the pet stores around here. They were all about making some $ and not giving a damn about my beardie. Thats not to say no one does.. but some people are oblivious to their ignorance. I got bad advice multiple times..

They had me feeding my beardie pinky mice! Which is very fattening for them, and will have them well on their way to a heart attack!
THEN, they had me buying heat emmiters along with both of his lamps, which 99% of homes will not need. It had his cage wayy to hot and I didn't even realize what was going on until purchasing a heat gun.. The crazy thing was, I paid for 3 of these and somehow.. they all broke! Its like he had a guardian angel that would come and break it every time i bought a new one.

Lesson learned. His cage is now 1/2 beardie carpet and 1/2 tile. ? found some nice little 3x3 tiles at home depot to put in the warm end of the tank as they retain heat.. he loves them. Hope this helps

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Okay off to get him tile...
our beardy is very sleepy -- is this normal or is something wrong???? If I try and give him a bath, he closes his eyes and just sleeps.
I am so worried for him, he is so young.
I hate pet stores now...why tell people something that will kill their pet :(

So glad I found you all!!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Uvb ? That and a flood light ( with appropriately rated dome) will help that lathargy quite a bit.
Just make sure baby can bask in temps around 105-120*F and make sure the uvb is shining down on the same area, with in 6-8".
*warm hugs*
Hope this helps out !

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
He has a red light for at night, a UV light and a heat light --- temperatures are around 105-110

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Don't need the red.. if you need heat at night.. try a ceramic heat element...
Hope this helps.

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Oh the red light isnt necessary?? We already have a ceramic heat element in his tank.

sublyme

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
get a temp gun.the ceramic elements can get extremely hot ( depending on wattage) you may not need it.. i didnt.
also, my beardie has a red lamp in the cold end of his cage too. best bet is to turn it on around dusk ( emulating the sun going down )
then go ahead and turn it off all together when you go to bed. ( or have it on a timer ) ** only way you need that red light all night is if the room where your beardie sleeps gets to be really cold.** I keep my house around 73 so its not needed at all during the night

Latest posts