• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lighting

Impawsible_Squad

Juvenile Dragon
I recently found out my lighting setup for my bearded dragon is wrong and I am working on fixing it. Do you think my beardie will be ok with only correct basking bulb and fixture until Christmas when I can get the Reptisun?
From what I've learned I need:
1. The right uvb fixture
2. A T5 10.0 reptisun
3. A digital thermometer
But for now I can only get the fixture and the thermometer... Will that be okay until christmas? I will most likely get a stand to put the uvb inside the tank for adequate amounts of uvb. The reason I cant get the reptisun yet is because I can't upgrade my tank until christmas. I want to know if this setup is okay until I can get everything else I need. Thank you!

Impawsible_Squad

Juvenile Dragon
Actually, do you guys have any idea about ways to hang the uvb dome inside the tank? Not fully inside as I still have a small tank. I mean like just hang it above or just slightly inside

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
No, your beardie will not be okay until then. Christmas is in 66 days. That's enough time for your beardie to develop eye issues and MBD. Please get the ReptiSun quickly. I find that they are more expensive on amazon. Petco has them for $27, and you can apply whatever coupons you can find to that. You can also check a discount pet store for a cheaper one.

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Lord pray no one thinks I'm a terrible beardie owner but I have been called worse so, heres what i can tell you from experience. If you have a coiled uvb bulb and its with 6 inches and a mercury basking bulb... you'll be fine until Christmas I can send you pictures of my beardie who've I've had since he was a month old back in January and until now he has always had a coil. There is nothing wrong with him, he's healthy, grown properly, (He's 24" right now and still isn't full grown yet), has always had a massive appetite (His record when he was younger was 84 crickets in 1 day). I say he will be more than fine until Christmas.

Knight98

Juvenile Dragon
Someone correct me if I’m wrong but a basking bulb is UVA? UVB replicates the sun rays which is vital in bearded dragons, I just don’t understand how you beardie is still living.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
UVB's help the dragon absorb the calcium they are fed -- they need calcium to keep the MBD away not to mention other health issues like RI -- another big issue --- if they dont have the correct UVB they get sick -- and die -- coils do not emit the proper UVB rays --- I have seen too many dragons w/ coil UVB's that are horribly sick or are dying --- here is some info for UVB's
Which UVB light should I use?

The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
here is some info on 26 watt bulbs but these are Reptisuns

The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance.

Impawsible_Squad

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you so much for the explanation! As soon as I get the reptisun I will work harder to turn her life around. Do you see a problem if I put the reptisun over the cage with the screen covering a fraction of it? This is because I have cats and I don't want to come back to a tragedy if I accidentally leave my door open

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much for the explanation! As soon as I get the reptisun I will work harder to turn her life around. Do you see a problem if I put the reptisun over the cage with the screen covering a fraction of it? This is because I have cats and I don't want to come back to a tragedy if I accidentally leave my door open
You can keep the screen partially on but you want most of the UVB exposed --- if you can either keep the cats out of the room or put the tank on a stand alone stand that the cats cant get to it-- period - I have 2 tanks one on each a stand alone dresser and a aquarium stand that has nothing around them so the cats cant get to the tops of the tanks - a cat will not usually jump to a area they cannot see to where they are jumping to - I have 5 of them --- none of them have ever jumped to the top of those tanks from the floor -- you can put the UVB width wise and run the screen right up to the UVB and place the basking bulb on the screen ---- as long as the dragon can get directly underneath it w/ the correct distance its not going to matter how the UVB is sitting vertical or horizontal-- hes still going to get the same UVB ---

Latest posts