• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lighting

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
For the basking light i just use a household bulb. 50watts and thats gets twmps to. Around 41 c. Y do u have 2 ubv bulbs?

kingkung

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a question on lighting. I currently have my beardie in a 36x18x12 exo terra tank. I currently have a 75 watt basking bulb and a repti-glo 5.0 compact uvb bulb(13watts). Is this enough lighting/uvb exposure for my beardie? It is about 9inches long. Not exactly sure on age, but definitely a juvenile, I'm guessing 6month. Also I was wondering if it would be worth it to get a zoo med power sun all in one bulb?

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hard to say if your basking bulb will be enough. Should be 105-110 in the basking spot and 80-85 in the cool part. As far as the uvb you need the reptisun 10.0 not the 5.0. Also you should get the tube style they are better for the beardie, more uvb coverage. And for the price i would stick with the tube style uvb and a halogen bulb for the basking unless.you can get temps up high enough with a house bulb instead of the power sun bulb.

kingkung

Bearded Dragon Egg
OK. I check the basking area with a temp gun and it ranges from100-110 and the cool side is shaded since my lights only light up one side of the cage, it stays in the range of 80-88, With the repti-glo 10.0, will 13 watts work?

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yup that sounds ok. And yes the 13w should be fine. It really depends on the fixture that you buy how.many watts you will need.

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You wont be able to use the deep dome for the tube style. I just went to walmart and bought mine. Its only like $10.
uploadfromtaptalk1401736107995.jpg
this is my light setup. I use a 60w house bulb for cool side and a short 35w halogen for the basking spot. A cheap outdoor spotlight fixture for them and a cheap 24" floresent fixture for the uvb

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
And of course 2 zoomed thermometers with probes so i can put them where i want them and all i have to do is look to see what my temps are without disturbing him.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The cheap fluorescent fixture will actually limit the output of your bulb, so you may want to look into replacing that with a fixture made specifically for UV output.

kingkung

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got a power sun bulb and im using it for my bearded, but i wanted to know if it was ok to just set it on top of the screen top or should it be hanging from a distance?

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It depends on what wattage it is, how far it is from the basking site/dragons back, and what kind of screen you have. Typical enclosure screen will block about 25-35% of light, so that is the reduction you are starting with. If you have the 100 watt version, then even without screen you want to have it only about 12-15" away. So with screen in the way you would need to bring that to more like 8" away from the dragons back. The problem is that often that means the basking area may be a little too hot. However, we should probably get you to start your own thread so we dont hijack this one.

Latest posts