• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lighting/temp help. New set up

Sdrudy

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just upgraded to a 48/18/24 tank and am trying to get the temps right before I move my guy over. I am able to get the basking spot right but with the long tank the cool side is staying around 72. Is there any reason I could not put another low wattage basking bulb in the middle of the tank to warm that side up? I have 2 75 watt halogen bulbs now. Thinking of adding 2 25 in the middle.

here is the light I have.

I have this from my current set up and might add in the middle

Attachments

• 5DEC57BB-5546-4938-92E9-F4E264F020CC.jpeg
    5DEC57BB-5546-4938-92E9-F4E264F020CC.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just upgraded to a 48/18/24 tank and am trying to get the temps right before I move my guy over. I am able to get the basking spot right but with the long tank the cool side is staying around 72. Is there any reason I could not put another low wattage basking bulb in the middle of the tank to warm that side up? I have 2 75 watt halogen bulbs now. Thinking of adding 2 25 in the middle.

here is the light I have.

I have this from my current set up and might add in the middle
Your going to want to lower that UVB to 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor --- that log piece you have looks like a good piece to set under the basking light- it should give gradient temps - lay it in different areas of the log itself and see what kind of temps you get if he were sitting in different places on it -- your UVB is going to need to have a piece under it as well -- the temps in the middle of the tank should be in the 90's you can use another basking bulb try a 75 watt or you can try a regular house hold bulb NO LEDS's start w/ a 60 watt and see what kind of temp you get --- make sure you are getting a temp w/ a digital probe thermometer -- that one light in the middle of the tank should give light on the cool side of the tank and heat it to 80 or so -- more pieces of decor under the UVB and under your middle of tank is good --- I have my UVB in front center of tank w/ a rock / hide under it I am using a reg hh bulb 60 watt and my temps are 94 cool side is 80ish -- my basking side ranges from 92-108 different spots -- and I have another hide on the cool side of tank so both dragons have 2 hides in the tanks --

Sdrudy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your going to want to lower that UVB to 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor --- that log piece you have looks like a good piece to set under the basking light- it should give gradient temps - lay it in different areas of the log itself and see what kind of temps you get if he were sitting in different places on it -- your UVB is going to need to have a piece under it as well -- the temps in the middle of the tank should be in the 90's you can use another basking bulb try a 75 watt or you can try a regular house hold bulb NO LEDS's start w/ a 60 watt and see what kind of temp you get --- make sure you are getting a temp w/ a digital probe thermometer -- that one light in the middle of the tank should give light on the cool side of the tank and heat it to 80 or so -- more pieces of decor under the UVB and under your middle of tank is good --- I have my UVB in front center of tank w/ a rock / hide under it I am using a reg hh bulb 60 watt and my temps are 94 cool side is 80ish -- my basking side ranges from 92-108 different spots -- and I have another hide on the cool side of tank so both dragons have 2 hides in the tanks --
thank you. I have several other prices of decor to add but they are in his current tank. I am just trying to get the temps right before moving him over.

I will have hammocks and logs for him to climb raising him up. If they bring him up to the light do I still need to lower the uvb?

the light I am adding in the middle is also a combo uvb/halogen. Is having another uvb bad?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
thank you. I have several other prices of decor to add but they are in his current tank. I am just trying to get the temps right before moving him over.

I will have hammocks and logs for him to climb raising him up. If they bring him up to the light do I still need to lower the uvb?

the light I am adding in the middle is also a combo uvb/halogen. Is having another uvb bad?
He doesn't need another uvb you don't want to over uvb him and he needs to.be able to get out of those rays if he wants-- you don't want the basking decor to high either-- so just make sure the distance is 12-15 inches--

Latest posts