• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lighting size question (switchingto 40B)

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Most likely this week I will be switching to the 40 gallon breeder. I was just wondering if I'll have to switch my UVB size (24") to a bigger one which would also have to switch my fixture. I was also wondering if I need to buy a deep dome with a higher powered lamp? Well I know I have to switch but what size and price range should I expect for the deep dome. Also I know you all use flood lights but should I use a cfl for the other side of the tank?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The 24" should be fine.
However, you might want to invest in the dome, and use a flood light for heat.
This will all depend on your homes' ambient temperatures, as well as the temps in that new enclosure.
My advice would be to make sure the new one is all checked out, before you place baby into it.
Make good use of your therm, checking and rechecking temps different times of the day and night. By making a log, you can track what those temps are, and make a sound decision.
Hope this helps.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Agreed...just make sure that the uvb fixture is more towards the hot side of the tank where he spends most of his time.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I bought a cheap dome at walmart about $7. Just make sure the dome is rated for the wattage of the bulb you are using.

Latest posts