• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lighting Set Up

Spyro2020

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys, I am just starting to buy the equipment I need to build my future dragon's habitat. I notice a lot of the started kits come with UV Bulbs as opposed to to UV tubes that most people use on here, I am assuming the tubes are a better option. Can anyone suggest a good light fixture and what size for a 40 gallon tank? I am looking for one to fit a T5 light over T8.

averyhanna_

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Here's what I use for my 40 gallon tank!

Attachments

• 60EF3C47-2CB6-4249-8768-C8A0D4DA992B.jpeg
    60EF3C47-2CB6-4249-8768-C8A0D4DA992B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33

Spyro2020

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just picked up similar lights, along with my 40Gallon tank. Do you guys keep the basking light above the mesh or mount it underneath? I plan on getting industrial velcro to mount the UVB Tube light fixture to the bottom of the mesh.

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You can keep your basking light in or above the screen, just make sure that if you put it under that the bearded dragon to not touch it.

Crabs Mcjones

Juvenile Dragon
you can grab light fixtures from practically any hardware store. Otherwise my personal favorite can be found on amazon.
For a 40 gallon (i'm guessing 36" width) you'll want a bulb that will cover at least 2/3 of that.
I use this fixture and it's worked fantastically for me. Mine is longer and includes basking lights though

If you want one that can include the basking bulb take a look at this one

N W

Juvenile Dragon
It's my understanding that they need to be a certain distance from the dragon, so I see it usually suggested that T8 go inside and T5 go outside. This does depend on the depth of the tank.
But I'm new to this, just passing along what I've read.
Maybe see if reptifiles.com has a guide on it, they are one of my go-to sites.

averyhanna_

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I just picked up similar lights, along with my 40Gallon tank. Do you guys keep the basking light above the mesh or mount it underneath? I plan on getting industrial velcro to mount the UVB Tube light fixture to the bottom of the mesh.
i just have mine above the mesh to make sure my beardie doesn’t get burnt. but like @Silver dragons and @Crabs Mcjones said, you can definitely mount in inside as long as your beardie can’t touch it!

Spyro2020

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I am looking at that fixture that will include the basking light so I can mount both under the mesh, it is fairly cold in my room so I want to make sure I have the appropriate heat in the terrarium.