• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

lighting question...

stephanie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I've been reading a bit on here about lighting and I wanted to get your opinions on a couple of fixtures if you don't mind. I'm setting up a new enclosure and these are some lights that are available to me already. If none are good, then I will buy something else. I just wanted to see if any of them are good to use. Not just "good enough"...ya know?

http://www.zilla-rules.com/products/combo-dome.htm

http://www.zilla-rules.com/products/mini-reptile-fixture.htm

http://www.zilla-rules.com/products/premium-reflector-dome.htm

http://www.zilla-rules.com/products/low-profile-fixtures.htm

And as far as bulbs go... any good or bad vibes towards these?

http://www.zilla-rules.com/products/incandescent-light-and-heat-bulbs.htm

http://www.zilla-rules.com/products/halogen-light-and-heat-bulbs.htm

Thank you in advance for all of your help! There is just so much out there with lighting and it can be a bit confusing.

Stephanie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The domes are fine to hold your basking light if you don't have a hood with your viv.

As far as light bulbs, you'll need a spot light. You can use a standard household bulb for this. Just need to get your temp right. You'll also need a UV bulb. I'm partial to the ReptiSun 10.0.

stephanie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
http://www.zilla-rules.com/products/combo-dome.htm

That dome actually has a UV bulb in it as well. It is part of Zilla's desert series and it says it is good for beardies. I know that a lot of UV bulbs aren't actually as good as they are supposed to be though. The package says that it is a T5 and is 50 Microwatts (23 watt bulb). Would there be a downside to using the bulb that comes with that fixture?

Thanks again!

stephanie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok, so I did a lot of reading on that site and I might have missed something so here goes...

It seems that the issues with the Zilla desert series products would have been corrected when they changed the phosphor used in their products? So as long as it isn't old stock, the lights would be ok?

Also, when you guys talk about reptisun 10...you are referring to the following:

http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=105&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=1&SearchContext=YTo3OntzOjg6IlNlYXJjaElEIjtzOjE6IjEiO3M6MTA6IkRhdGFiYXNlSUQiO3M6MToiMiI7czo3OiJLZXl3b3JkIjtzOjIwOiJMaWdodGluZyBBY2Nlc3NvcmllcyI7czoxNToiUHJvZHVjdENhdGVnb3J5IjtzOjg6IkxpZ2h0aW5nIjtzOjc6IkhlYWRpbmciO3M6OToiVGVycmFyaXVtIjtzOjg6IlNlYXJjaF94IjtzOjE6IjAiO3M6ODoiU2VhcmNoX3kiO3M6MToiMCI7fQ==

Right? Do you prefer the long tube to the compact just because of the overall area that it covers? Or is there another reason that you like it more?

Edit: It also says on Zoo Med's site to place the bulb 20 inches above the basking site. Would this distance be cut down if using a screen cover? Would you do 10"? Also, if any of you are using this bulb and your beardie's basking site is pretty close to the top of the viv...how do you mount it to stay far enough away?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I use either the tube reptisun 10.0 or the Mega ray MVB 100W self ballested. In all my research and exhaustive talking to the "experts" these are the only two I would ever consider using. Both have excellent results too !

Yes it has been stated that those lights were... fixed, however, current animals exposed to said compacts/coils still suffer from the serious eye issues, not to mention mbd issues. Appetites, eyes, bone issues still all remain a problem when using said lighting.

Janie.

stephanie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok, good to know. It is just hard for me to understand why these products would be on the market when they are causing these issues. That's insane! I do understand that the pet industry is not well regulated so I know why it has been allowed to happen...I just don't understand why the companies themselves wouldn't want to fix the problems for real. I guess the cost involved is probably the real issue.

As far as my other question, I've noticed recently on this forum and another bearded dragon site that they suggest keeping the repti-sun 6 to 8 inches away from the basking spot. Zoo Med says 20 inches. Which do you follow? Do you have a screen cover on your viv? If not, would having one change the distance that you were going to use?

I know that a biggest thing to cause problems with UV is getting the right amount. Too much or too little can be bad. I really want to get this 100% from day one!

Thanks again!

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Personally I don't care for Zilla products. Their fixtures hold primarily the T5 bulb, which differs slightly from the T8 in diameter i believe. I'm not sure if the two would work together if you had a zilla flo fixture and a repti sun bulb.

Distance from bulb to basking site is noted to be the most recommended with absolutely optimum output and no blockage. However, bulbs decrease in strength over time and without a UVB meter, you would not be aware when to adjust height of the bulb. We stick with the 6 to 8 inches of height to counter that drawback. It still maintains a safe distance (with the repti sun 10) and allows for maximum penetration for the life of the bulb.

I mount all my lighting internally, both in tanks and in custom enclosures. Less heat, better stimulation, no blockage.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wouldn't bash the vendors too much. We are talking about bearded dragon care and lighting. Most of the lights you listed are for other types of reptiles. If you go to the vendor's site and search for the lights, you will see which reptiles the light is recommended.

stephanie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Perhaps you can show me where their site lists this information? The reason that I posted those fixtures in the first place is because I looked at them in person and the packaging suggested/specifically listed that they were good for bearded dragons. With the exception of the basking dome/bulbs, they are all part of the Zilla Desert Series for desert reptiles.

I never intended to "bash" anyone. I just did a lot of reading on the site that was posted by zebraflavencs and on this forum. You all seem to feel so strongly that these products are not safe. Also, the site did not only list cases of issues with bearded dragons. There were other reptiles involved as well. It is a little bit frustrating as a newbie to have so much conflicting information out there. (Companies telling you that things are fine and hobbyists/research sites telling you otherwise)

I actually spent a lot of time trying to find information that their products would be ok to use as long as used properly. I actually personally know someone that uses the Zilla combo dome with his bearded dragon and swears that he has not had a single issue. He swears by it with the same passion that you all swear by the repti-sun 10.

For the record, I am going to get either the Reptisun or a MVB set up. I'm going to look into the Mega Ray and then order one or the other.

@ladyknite: Thank you very much! That explanation makes a lot of sense. :)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I understand where you are coming from. This is exactly why I started my site. Mybeardie.com started as notepad for my hubby and me to jot down our notes when we first started caring for Bernie. There is a lot of contradicting information out there. This is the same reason that I started my forum. For the soul purpose of others helping others. I was also a victim of incorrect information being given by a pet store.

Here is the link to Exo Terra for their ReptiGlo fluorescent bulbs:
http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/linear_fluorescent_bulbs.php

Here is a snippet for the 2.0 explaining what type of reptile this light suites:
The Exo Terra Repti Glo 2.0 is a general light source with a high visual light output and a very high colour rendering index (CRI), but a lower UVB radiation. This bulb is suitable for snakes, all amphibians (frogs, toads and salamanders) and nocturnal animals. Plants will thrive under this light as well. It is also a perfect complementary light to a UVB bulb to boost visual light.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As Candice points out, beardies need to have the lights on during the day and off at night. You may want to consider getting a timer. It will be a life saver. You can pick one up at any hardware store. They are probably out with the Christmas lights.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Renee said:
As Candice points out, beardies need to have the lights on during the day and off at night. You may want to consider getting a timer. It will be a life saver. You can pick one up at any hardware store. They are probably out with the Christmas lights.
Renee brings out a good point, timers are one of the cheapest most amazing investments for owning reptiles

Latest posts