• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lighting question

RF Wildlife

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am taking the plunge and getting a beardy. My question is how far should basking spot be from my UVB? I am reading 6 inches a lot, but do not see much info with the High Output bulb I am going to use. Here is what I have to put in the enclosure 46" T-5 HO Fixture *High Output* with ARCADIA D3+ 12% HO Bulb. This is from light your reptiles. The viv will be 48 X 24 X 24. I carved a foam background castle theme, but need to make basking and hide yet. Just want to get an idea with distance to the bulb. I only have experience with Chameleons.

DanielE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I believe I have read on here that with the T5s as long as your within 12" your ok but wait for conformation :)
Congratulations and good luck.

DanielE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
This is where I read it :)

(From Jarich)
"You can also buy the skinnier, high output fluorescent tube lights called T5 bulbs. These bulbs produce much more UVB and last for about a year. If you have these, then you can put them so the lizard only has to get within about 12 inches away" <br /><br />There are other types of UV lights, but for now that should get you started. Feel free to ask any other questions!<br/>

Latest posts