• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lighting help please

Sbu70

Bearded Dragon Egg
We’ve had our beardie for 4 months and he is now 6 months. His viv was set up by the shop and they mounted the uvb on the top back edge - it was Repti-Glo 10 24” 20 watt. The shop recommended corn cob substrate (which I replaced with tile once I became more educated) and also the red light because they said it wouldn’t disturb his sleep and it would be best to keep the temps the same. I’ve now learnt that the red light is not ideal and it’s better for the temps to cool overnight.
So, I changed to the white bulb and thought I’d change the tube at the same time and got the Arcadia 10% 18 watt but visually it’s not as bright as the previous one so I’ve made a mistake there as Stumpy is virtually nose to bulb

I feel bad that my little pet has not had the best start andI want to get this right. I’ve been advised to get a T5 tube and fix it on the top of the viv rather than the back edge. Do I need different fixings for a T5 and would you recommend getting a reflector hood too? I think from what I’ve read that I need to move the uvb tube closer to the basking bulb so they overlap? Sorry, I have read the care sheets but somethings obviously not going in!

Here is a pic of his set up. I’d be grateful for your suggestions on how to make things better.

Attachments

• 31455448-D64E-4A0C-9C7A-643C7F3C2BB6.jpeg
    31455448-D64E-4A0C-9C7A-643C7F3C2BB6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44

Loose Nut

Bearded Dragon Egg
Its hard to tell the dimensions in that picture. could you tell us the measurements of the inside.
how tall, wide and deep is his enclosure ? it will give us a better ideal as to, what to recommend

Sbu70

Bearded Dragon Egg
Its hard to tell the dimensions in that picture. could you tell us the measurements of the inside.
how tall, wide and deep is his enclosure ? it will give us a better ideal as to, what to recommend
It’s 36” x 18” x 18”

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I use an arcadia fitting with reflector, they are really good. You will notice a difference when the light is all being reflected downwards. Ideally you dont want your dragon to get any closer than 6 inches, but these are high intensity lights, more would be better. My minimum distance from furniture to light is about 9 inches, I feel comfortable with them at that distance, however , my tanks are 6 inches higher than yours. You will just have to adjust your tank furniture until you get it right I guess

Sbu70

Bearded Dragon Egg
I use an arcadia fitting with reflector, they are really good. You will notice a difference when the light is all being reflected downwards. Ideally you dont want your dragon to get any closer than 6 inches, but these are high intensity lights, more would be better. My minimum distance from furniture to light is about 9 inches, I feel comfortable with them at that distance, however , my tanks are 6 inches higher than yours. You will just have to adjust your tank furniture until you get it right I guess
Thank you for the advice.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I use the
Arcadia 12% but mine is over the mesh so you might be okay with the bulb inside. Yes the basking light needs to overlap the UVB light. You’ll just need to lower the basking spot so he dragon isn’t staring right into the lights.

Sbu70

Bearded Dragon Egg
I use the
Arcadia 12% but mine is over the mesh so you might be okay with the bulb inside. Yes the basking light needs to overlap the UVB light. You’ll just need to lower the basking spot so he dragon isn’t staring right into the lights.
Thank you

Latest posts