• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Light Fittings

Sarz_Puff

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey guys just wondering for my new viv are there any places online that do cheap 60 watt spot light and uvb fittings in the U.K preferable Ireland but U.K is good??

I got kinda ripped off the last time round when i went lookin for light fittings as every electrical wholesaler in the area (which have since shut down due to the current economic climate) said the fittings wouldn reli suit the bulbs for a reptile and ended up goin to a pet shop and payin around 60-70 euro on fittings for a uvb and a heat lamp.....

My mate uses normal fittings and they work fine but cant for the life of him remember where he got them....

Also how many should i have in a 5x2x2 viv?

Thanks

Saran

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm sorta confused here.
by fittings do you mean fixtures? Ceramic bases and flourescent fixture?
What's the UK term for hardware store?

If you have these from before.....why can't you reuse them?

Sarz_Puff

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sorry was in college typing this so i was a bit vague... :-\

Ye by fittings i do mean fixtures.... I could ye i just wanna sell the old viv all together instead of canabilizing it for parts and bein left with just the shell....

I suppose it was unfair of me to ask was there any places in the U.K ill look around a bit more and ask some of the electrical engineers in my course

I no my mate uses them but just to be sure can you use normal household fixtures for vivs so long as there the same wattage and all or do you need the reptile specific ones?

Sorry again for the previous post

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
b&q, wickes, wilkinsons, homebase, asda, tesco, anywhere that sells light fittings and use a normal household spot bulb from the same shops for heat bulb half the price of the same spec equiptment from a rep shop
as for the uvb fittings youll need a starter for the tube type the coils are bad in comparison to the tube you can pick them up cheap on ebay

paul

Sarz_Puff

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks Paul i just wasn sure cause i went to them be4 when i was building my last viv and they said they weren sure if i could use them so i didn wanna risk it but thanks man.

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i use them with no probs i just use high heat cable on them so wire dont over heat

paul

Sarz_Puff

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
O ok....

Do you use any addtional heat at night?

Going off the topic a bit i no just curious seen as the temp is practically the same here in Dublin as most of the U.K give or take.......

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can...Ceramic Heat Emitters
You only need to keep air temps above that 60-65*F mark.
Hope that helps out !
Janie

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
as janie said i also use a ceramic heat emitter i bought off ebay with fitting temps are so steady with it and i got quite a large vivs at 4'x2.5'x3.5'

paul

Latest posts