• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Light Bulb Semi Emergency

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
OK, so I have these porcelain light fixtures (all on timers) and this is what I have had to replace in bulbs before and just now:
40 w Phillips Spot Bulb (halogen)
40 w Incandescent Bulb from GE-------------------------------- Bulb life was only 4 weeks
50 w Night Black Heat from Zilla (Is this a good brand?)------ Bulb life was only 8 weeks

Both light fixtures are on a timer, I have 32" total in ventilation sq. inches....
I plan on buying a CHE however, I'm a bit hesitant now until I figure out what is going on. Everything is plugged into a surge protector 120V outlet, which has 6 devices plugged into it. My surge protector is a Phillips Construction site surge protector. It has heavy duty wiring so I don't thing it's the surge protect. And my XBOX 360 is plugged into it with no problems.

Cool side temps------ 80 Degrees
Basking Spot--------- 107 Degrees

With night lamp only-- 69 Degrees (my house is kept cold due to medical reasons, 64 degrees)

Here is a picture of the fixture. Note: The Black Light Bulb installed will not be used. It is a common 75 w party black light bulb and emits too much light. It it only being used in the picture to demonstrate that the fixture works
IMG_1037.jpg
:

Last edited:

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
Plan of action:

Use my 75 w backlight bulb for the weekend with my zoomed Thermostat. I just have to stay up for a couple hours for his enclosure to cool down and properly adjust his temps for night time. I hope this works. I'm not too worried about the light interfering with his sleep because he uses his hide every night.

I can't find 1 single night black heat bulb in my town so tomorrow I will be ordering a 60 w CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) online. It will be ran off the same Thermostat and replace the black light bulb.
My enclosure is slightly larger than a 40 gal. Do these CHE's get super hot (60 watt ones)?

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
That is what the temporary black light bulb is set for now. I just hope he gets some sleep with the bulb coming on and off. Can't wait to get CHE. The 60w is rated for 95 degrees in a 10-20 enclosure according to specs. So I think it won't get too hot quick since my house is 64 degrees.

Latest posts