• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Let's talk poop. Yucky subject, I know.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I took Allie out today to enjoy the nice hot day and everything was going great. She ate a small salad while we ate. She's apart of the family thoroughly. But today, we were buying supplies from Home Depot and she decided to go to the bathroom in her crate. Her poop smelled strongly. I don't know if it smelled up the whole store because we were in the outside garden center looking at the plants. And I was holding after that to keep her warm. I threw away the poop into the trash can and left.

What would the reason her poop would smell strongly other than parasites and pinworms?

I'll wait and see if it smells tomorrow to and then take her sample to the vet for testing.

Pat B

Super Moderator
My beardies poop smells all the time. I wipe it out and flush it. So if the poop smells....something is wrong with your beardie?? He eats, poops, sheds, etc etc and doesn't act strange.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It has a white urinate and is brown. Normal colored. She doesn't act weird or anything. Doesn't hide from the UVB and she basks. I'm going to see if it smelled like it did yesterday. If so, then tomorrow, I'll take her poop the vet for testing. May have eaten a bad cricket if it reads anything. I keep their container clean.

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Beardies have stinky poo, that's normal. My girls have some stinky poo. What kind of greens do you feed? I feed my beardies more of a spring mix now and it seems to have made the smell a little less smellier. Collards and mustards made their poo smell a lot. I have heard that certain bugs will make their poo smell a lot more than others, like crickets being one of them.

Bowser, my tortoise, doesn't really have a stinky kind of poo. I mean it smells, but not the way that the beardies poo does. When she poos it's like a grassy turd, lol.

Pat B

Super Moderator
You are absolutely too funny Dude!! And yes you are right....poop smells but dang....it is nasty to clean up and flush!! Seriously though....it is reassuring to know that smelly poop is a norm and not an issue with my beardie!!

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
nothing like that morning AROMA! as long as they are well formed and have the urate attatched you should be fine. the odor is normal. the mustard and collard greens do add a little to the smell. there is a definite difference between healthy poo and sick poo. sick poo is usually alot softer if not watery and, believe it or not, smells alot worse. dragon poo will wake you up in the morning. sick dragon poo will make you say "what the h$ll is that fonky smell":eek:

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much. I won't need to take a sample to the vet. She's cleared up on her own and had a fun day! I put her in a travel crib play yard and she climbed out several times to get to me. :) Nothing that I can do if she's going to climb the sides, but at least it kept her away from the dogs and whatnot. :)

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
poop samples are recommended a minimum of once a year as most of the parasites they get come from the live food they eat. if in doubt its never a bad idea. im glad she is doing well!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you. I plan on getting her tested before the cold weather begins.

Latest posts