• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

lets talk about this lighting thing

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I own a UVB meter and all that, I read the forum, but letsa talk lighting in laymens terms. I unerstand microbiology and physics but the dynamicsa of spectrum turn me into something evil. Lol.
There's a lot of talk around about the Powersun, Repti glo, Mega ray, Repti sun and all of them. My question is this: where is this info coming from? I'd like valid info to put in my reference material but can't seem to find it on my own

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Real, factual, true-to-science data? Hmm...sorry. Can't help ya, there. But....here's my take on it:

One seems to have all the "power", one is "mega" awesome, one could very well "glo" at night, and one reflects a star (I'll let you guess which one it is). ;D

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It takes a real gift to point out the obvious! Not just anybody can do it. LOL!

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I get my info from the UV meter group and from personal experience. But that's about all I can tell ya.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Unfortunately, the UV meter group seems get a scratch in their record and can't move to another topic concerning a different light. It gets frustrating because you try to search, read and learn, and what you find is either specifically about one light (don't tell anyone that more than one exists at a time, they might fall off the chair) or information dated a year or better. The UV guide is a terriffic source of info, however, things do progress a little faster than it updates via web.

This isn't helping my problem.

Lets go this route:
What do we know about the Mega Ray?

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well they changed the glass to a cheaper one that didnt take to the film on the bulb. Too much UVB and in my case burned my frilled dragon. Thy kept blowing out and are just made in a much poorer quality

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Getting sick of going BUMPETY BUMP BUMP, so Ill just add another light into the mix.

Apparently here in SA all the petshops are going over to the Repti Zoo - Repti Sol UVB tube lights as the Repti Sun and Glo are getting tooooooo expensive according to them.
So there we have more proof pet shops dont care about quality or after effects. Just sales.

Any other info on the 1st mentioned light would be great tho ;D

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
550250lgli7fdp82.gif

This is getting rediculous

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Mega Ray--It's taking NEW customers up to 3 months to get their bulbs and replacement customers up to 6 weeks. What good does a REPLACEMENT bulb do you if you have to wait 6 weeks for it.

The EB and the SB series are quite different. Which bulb will work depends on the type of enclosure, size of enclosure, the air flow and cross, whether or not you know how to install a ballist and a few more things. People recommend these bulbs without the very basis of that information. For example, I've used EB bulbs for awhile now. But i can't set them up in melamine enclosures. The internal temps of the enclosure climb too high before my lighting system shuts down. Lets be realistic.........how many of those bulbs in different wattages can you afford to just have laying around?

Candice brought up the fact that the bulbs blow easily. I run reptile lighting on a different source than my house. Yet it is still susceptible to outages, surges, flickers and what not. Even on surge protection and battery over rides, the bulbs still blow. Don't they require no variation I've also seen animals burned by the bulbs, but feel that most all bulbs of that type hold that possibility.

Anybody else got comment on the Mega?

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I missed this whole thread, lol! Sorry!
I have not used the Mega.
What's next?

Latest posts