• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Let's say I wanted to use something besides sand...

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
What would be the next best thing? George doesn't really like super smooth surfaces or anything prickly...IDK he just doesn't like 2 touch things like that. Any suggestions?

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In my opinion these are my choices from BEST to least favourite:

Textured ceramic tile - keeps nails short, and a BREEZE to clean
Non adhesive shelf liner - Looks nice and cheap and easy to clean
Astro turf / Repti carpet - Looks nice, but cleaning can be a pain due to having to wash it when they poop
Newspaper - Maybe doesnt look so nice, but cheap and easy to clean, just chuck it once its soiled
Paper towels - Looks better than newspaper, less cheap and easy to clean, just chuck it once its soiled

Anyway thats my opinion, personally I have had the repti carpet / astro turf and switched to tile. NEVER been happier. It was the best decision I ever made

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a very textured tile. You could also try an outdoor tile.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I use slate tile in all my vivs. I have also used sand(hated it), newspaper(was easy to clean when my dragon was a baby and super cheap) and also papertowel.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've used reptile carpet when Bernie was a baby. Switched to sand after he was a year old. Then went to tile after he was about 2. We were very happy with the tile and he appeared to also be happy. It was a lot cleaner.

Debbe

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I actually go back and forth between paper tiles and repticarpet. I prefer the paper towels. I would like to put all of them in a enclosure with tile but have not put them in a permanent "place" in the house yet. Also the baby is still in a 20L.

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you for the suggestions...You know what I didn't think about is which of those products hold the most heat in? We're about 2 hit winter here in Detroit, and it gets reallllllly cold...That was one of the reasons I kind of liked the sand, is that it held heat in a little better on those really cold days. I got an old furnace, so sometimes it decides 2 take a break and somehow switch itself off. Just want 2 make sure George stays toasty ;D. I'm kinda liking this tile idea, might be a nice way to make George's tank prettier lol

petri_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi All,

I use the white calcium sand, but, I also find it difficult to do the full changes with out a couple of my strong buddies to help me!! So, the tiles seem like a really cool and convenient alternative, but, do the beardies themselves prefer the sand? Mine likes to half bury himself and sleep in the corner sometimes. I still don't have a digital camera to post pics, but I have 4ftx2.5ft glass enclosure with screen top, a huge half-hollow-low thing, a branch that reaches to the top, and piece of drift wood and he will lay on all these things but he also seems to like the sand. I'd hate to change the substrate just bc I have a hard time cleaning the sand......does that seem unkind of me to change the substrate?????

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi All,

I use the white calcium sand, but, I also find it difficult to do the full changes with out a couple of my strong buddies to help me!! So, the tiles seem like a really cool and convenient alternative, but, do the beardies themselves prefer the sand? Mine likes to half bury himself and sleep in the corner sometimes. I still don't have a digital camera to post pics, but I have 4ftx2.5ft glass enclosure with screen top, a huge half-hollow-low thing, a branch that reaches to the top, and piece of drift wood and he will lay on all these things but he also seems to like the sand. I'd hate to change the substrate just bc I have a hard time cleaning the sand......does that seem unkind of me to change the substrate??

Calci sand is really bad. It doesnt digest if accidently ingested. It clumps together and can cause serious impactation problems. If you really want to use sand, normal washed / sifted kids play sand is the best choice. But there is always a risk of impactation when using any type of particle substrate.
If you go and have a look at this online bearded dragon book (Link below) Ithas a whole chapter on substrates on p30.

http://www.regaldragons.com/book.html

Beardeds natural terrain also isnt really sand. Heres a topic on the forum with info on their natural habitat

http://mybeardie.com/bearded-dragon...tats/alternative-husbandry-practice-for-sand/

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
There's so much conflicting data on the internet...I found this link that says sand is a part of their natural terrain (they live in a semi desert environment)
http://www.reptileknowledge.com/care/dragon-habitat.php

Also, wikipedia makes mention that sand is appropriate for a larger dragon...I think this is just one of those things that is based on the choice of the individual. I like the sand because George likes the sand, but the tile for me might be better because I won't have 2 keep buying sand LMAO...Anyways, I"m going 2 look at some tile in the next couple of days, as long as it holds heat well, I'm all for it....

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I_Love_George said:
There's so much conflicting data on the internet...I found this link that says sand is a part of their natural terrain (they live in a semi desert environment)
http://www.reptileknowledge.com/care/dragon-habitat.php

Also, wikipedia makes mention that sand is appropriate for a larger dragon...I think this is just one of those things that is based on the choice of the individual. I like the sand because George likes the sand, but the tile for me might be better because I won't have 2 keep buying sand LMAO...Anyways, I"m going 2 look at some tile in the next couple of days, as long as it holds heat well, I'm all for it....

Something that might help you out.

http://mybeardie.com/bearded-dragon...tats/alternative-husbandry-practice-for-sand/

Cheers,

petri_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks All,

Those were some interesting links! I looked up the MSDS for calcium sand and the MSDS for play sand

http://www.lafargecorp.com/wps/wcm/resources/file/ebf8ed07b94d96d/Deicing Agent MSDS 2011.pdf

http://www.quikrete.com/PDFs/MSDS-B4-Playsand.pdf

Calcium sand doesn't have the same appeal to me as it did before if you compare the inhalation and ingestion hazards between the two types of sand. I think I might configure my Petri's enclosure to have tile with a third of the enclosure having play sand.

Thanks again All!!

petri_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
P.S. I want to mention that I realize that the MSDS links I posted are for industrial grade sand and for industrial applications. So, I'm not trying to be over cautious in my substrate selection, but, I couldn't find an MSDS for the specific calcium sand sold commercially as pet substrate.

Latest posts