• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lethargic dragon

KaadianSmear

Hatchling Dragon
Hello, just thought I'd post and see if anyone has any experience with this. My beardie is almost a year old now, and he's been quite a healthy boy thus far. But over the past few days I've noticed he's been hiding on the cool side of the tank, and not eating much. I would give him a bath and he would poop, but his poop seemed a lot smaller than usual. He still likes to cuddle, but when he's out he slows down after awhile and seems like be wants to sleep. (Mind you, we only take him out at night after work.) I'm worried and thinking of everything terrible under the sun.

He's growing a lot right now with his age, and he's been a glutton not that long ago. even tho I keep the temps proper in his enclosure could it still be change of seasons? Also wondering if it could be a sign of brumation? He is also shedding in small patches right now as well. I'm not sure what to think. Does anyone else have any similar experiences?

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
How old is he- what lighting are you using, what are the temps, and how are you measuring them?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, just thought I'd post and see if anyone has any experience with this. My beardie is almost a year old now, and he's been quite a healthy boy thus far. But over the past few days I've noticed he's been hiding on the cool side of the tank, and not eating much. I would give him a bath and he would poop, but his poop seemed a lot smaller than usual. He still likes to cuddle, but when he's out he slows down after awhile and seems like be wants to sleep. (Mind you, we only take him out at night after work.) I'm worried and thinking of everything terrible under the sun.

He's growing a lot right now with his age, and he's been a glutton not that long ago. even tho I keep the temps proper in his enclosure could it still be change of seasons? Also wondering if it could be a sign of brumation? He is also shedding in small patches right now as well. I'm not sure what to think. Does anyone else have any similar experiences?
Before we determine the weather is the cause lets go over the UVB and the basking temps -- you need a digital thermometer to get these NO stick ons for year old dragon temps should be 95-100 surface temps not air or ambient UVB NO coils please -- long tube fixture-- a Zoo Med or Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb and Sunblaster Nano Tech are all good fixtures - if this is off it will bring on brumation type behavior - it is winter now here in the states so it could be the weather too but to determine that for sure the lighting needs to be correct --- it is normal for them to find a place to go take naps outside of the tank mine do it all the time --

KaadianSmear

Hatchling Dragon
Before we determine the weather is the cause lets go over the UVB and the basking temps -- you need a digital thermometer to get these NO stick ons for year old dragon temps should be 95-100 surface temps not air or ambient UVB NO coils please -- long tube fixture-- a Zoo Med or Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb and Sunblaster Nano Tech are all good fixtures - if this is off it will bring on brumation type behavior - it is winter now here in the states so it could be the weather too but to determine that for sure the lighting needs to be correct --- it is normal for them to find a place to go take naps outside of the tank mine do it all the time --
Temps as far as I'm aware are fine, his basking spot is usually 36 - 40C. I check using a digital thermometer with a probe. His lighting is a reptisun long fixture. He usually hangs around the hot side all the time, so it's weird to see him go over to the cold side and stay there most of the day. He was totally fine two weeks ago, but it's been a gradual transition to how he is now. He is also shedding small patches right now.

I am in Canada, so the temperatures outside just dropped drastically in the last little while. We were -3 last week. And the daylight is from 8 am to 4 pm. I just don't know if that could also be a culprit to how he's been acting? His lights are on 12 hours a day and off for 12.

KaadianSmear

Hatchling Dragon
How old is he- what lighting are you using, what are the temps, and how are you measuring them
Temps as far as I'm aware are fine, his basking spot is usually 36 - 40C. I check using a digital thermometer with a probe. His lighting is a reptisun long fixture. He usually hangs around the hot side all the time, so it's weird to see him go over to the cold side and stay there most of the day. He was totally fine two weeks ago, but it's been a gradual transition to how he is now. He's less than a year old. If I were to guess I'd say anywhere from 8 to 10 months. He is also shedding small patches right now.

I am in Canada, so the temperatures outside just dropped drastically in the last little while. We were -3 last week. And the daylight is from 8 am to 4 pm. I just don't know if that could also be a culprit to how he's been acting? His lights are on 12 hours a day and off for 12.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Temps as far as I'm aware are fine, his basking spot is usually 36 - 40C. I check using a digital thermometer with a probe. His lighting is a reptisun long fixture. He usually hangs around the hot side all the time, so it's weird to see him go over to the cold side and stay there most of the day. He was totally fine two weeks ago, but it's been a gradual transition to how he is now. He's less than a year old. If I were to guess I'd say anywhere from 8 to 10 months. He is also shedding small patches right now.

Your UVB is what brand and bulb please T 5 or a T 8 they have different distance and placement -- depending on the screen --- it is common for them to slow down in the winter and eat less ect because of the temps ect --- how old is your UVB? Shedding can cause lack of appetite and they get crabby -- basking temps are good --- so we need to rule this out for cause as well

KaadianSmear

Hatchling Dragon
Your UVB is what brand and bulb please T 5 or a T 8 they have different distance and placement -- depending on the screen --- it is common for them to slow down in the winter and eat less ect because of the temps ect --- how old is your UVB? Shedding can cause lack of appetite and they get crabby -- basking temps are good --- so we need to rule this out for cause as well
My bulb is a t8, but the brand is Thrive which tbh, looking into it I think I should get a better one. It's about three months old. I did come home today tho and he was awake. I gave him a bath and he pooped a healthy looking poop. He also doesn't have his stress marks anymore. He's still white in his shedding spots. It could very well be shedding stress but getting second opinions always helps me worry less.

Attachments

• PXL_20211209_030811390.jpg
    PXL_20211209_030811390.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My bulb is a t8, but the brand is Thrive which tbh, looking into it I think I should get a better one. It's about three months old. I did come home today tho and he was awake. I gave him a bath and he pooped a healthy looking poop. He also doesn't have his stress marks anymore. He's still white in his shedding spots. It could very well be shedding stress but getting second opinions always helps me worry less.
Please get rid of the thrive and replace w/ a reptisun 10.0 T 8 does the fixture have a reflector in it? If not your going to need to get one or replace the whole set up- if that is the case get a Zoo Med 24" fixture for a 40 gallon tank or a Arcadia pro T 5 12% or a sunblaster nano tech - the T 8 needs to go into the tank directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches

KaadianSmear

Hatchling Dragon
Please get rid of the thrive and replace w/ a reptisun 10.0 T 8 does the fixture have a reflector in it? If not your going to need to get one or replace the whole set up- if that is the case get a Zoo Med 24" fixture for a 40 gallon tank or a Arcadia pro T 5 12% or a sunblaster nano tech - the T 8 needs to go into the tank directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches
Yeah, I'll be buying a new bulb asap. Thankfully I already have a good set up with a good reflector. I just need a better bulb.

Latest posts