• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lethargic and avoiding heat lamp

Emu2010

Bearded Dragon Egg
My Bearded Dragon is almost 1 year old and has been pretty active since I got him. He usually gets about 15 crickets a week and he gets Bearded Dragon food daily. He's only ever eaten veggies if I hand feed him. For the past few weeks, he'll only eat his crickets if I use tongs and catch them myself and feed them to him. He's also been spending a lot of his time on the cool side of his tank to the point he gets cold to the touch and sleeps a lot. He's in a 40 gallon tank which I thought would be plenty big enough for him. He's having regular bowel movements and gets a weekly bath. I'm probably doing something wrong here, I just don't know what.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My Bearded Dragon is almost 1 year old and has been pretty active since I got him. He usually gets about 15 crickets a week and he gets Bearded Dragon food daily. He's only ever eaten veggies if I hand feed him. For the past few weeks, he'll only eat his crickets if I use tongs and catch them myself and feed them to him. He's also been spending a lot of his time on the cool side of his tank to the point he gets cold to the touch and sleeps a lot. He's in a 40 gallon tank which I thought would be plenty big enough for him. He's having regular bowel movements and gets a weekly bath. I'm probably doing something wrong here, I just don't know what.
You did not mention basking temps -- what are they are how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate-- and UVB NO coils -------------- those two things are the most important things in that tank --- those two things control the over all health of your dragon and if they are improper he will get sick ---

RankinsDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have 8 months old rankins dragon and I had just right temperatures at her basking spot. For some reason my dragon just didnt like that spot and it became sleepy and lethargic (he didnt really bask), so I moved the basking spot deeper to enclosure where she used to spend a lot time. Now shes basking normally and shes more active. Reptiles are quite sensitive creatures, I guess mine just didn't like the spot even thought the temperatures were right. Also, check your uvb lighting is correct and still working, it has huge effect. Maybe your dragon is trying to brumate or getting ready for it?

Emu2010

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you, I’m pretty sure he’s getting ready to brumate. I read up on it the other day and his behavior is spot on. I feel kind of silly for getting so worried about him.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you, I’m pretty sure he’s getting ready to brumate. I read up on it the other day and his behavior is spot on. I feel kind of silly for getting so worried about him.
Make sure your lighting UVB and basking temps are correct - if they are not he will exhibit behavior that your describing -- NO coils for UVB

Emu2010

Bearded Dragon Egg
It turns out the UV light needed to be changed. I came across the receipt from when I bought it and I was a few weeks over due for getting a new one. He’s back to his active self again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It turns out the UV light needed to be changed. I came across the receipt from when I bought it and I was a few weeks over due for getting a new one. He’s back to his active self again.
Good if your using a T 8 6 months needs to be changed T 5's 1 yr

Latest posts