• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Leatherback question

Phunmusicphan

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Are leatherback beardies smaller than the normal variety?
I adopted a orange leatherback off Craigslist almost a year ago. I was told he was a year old when I got him. He's just a little over 16 inches now. I know every bearded dragon is different. It just seems that most adults are 18-22 inches and seem much bigger/wider than mine. Is mine just small or are your 22 inch dudes just old. Do they continue to grow thier whole lives or do they just stop?

Sent using dyslexic fat finger mobile.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't think they are that different than the common dragon's size wise... a number of things can affect their size... Are you sure you have a male as females are typically smaller, you said you got him off craigslist do you know the size tank he grew up in? maybe it was too small for him, depends on what he was fed growing up and how often he was fed...
He would be done growing at this point.

Phunmusicphan

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm sure he's male. The other two things I do not know. I guess he's just smaller.

Sent using dyslexic fat finger mobile.

Kathryn Kinney

Juvenile Dragon
A lot depends on their care before you had him the first year is crucial for development. As long as he seems healthy and eating great I wouldn't worry. I have a leatherback female that is 21 inches long. They can range from 16-23 inches most common is about 18in. They should start to fill out weight wise the second year.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I agree with the others. His growth is going to be based on what kind of care he received before you and his genetics. As long as he's eating and pooping and healthy, that's what is important.

Latest posts