• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Leashes: Good or Bad?

OHnatalie

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've been browsing the web since we got Godzilla for accessories to make his tank more at home and I keep coming across Bearded Dragon leashes. Obviously, it'd be something to possibly get a lot later on down the road seeing as he still fits in my hand but I was curious... Are they safe? Do you actually "walk" your dragon? Are they fond of the harness leashes? Is it safe to bring them outside? Do they need exercise? So many questions! The one we'd be interested in, I attached a picture of as well.

OHnatalie

Bearded Dragon Egg
I walk my girl outside almost daily during the warmer times of the year. I don't only do it so she gets exercise (which is wonderful for her), but I want her to get normal UV rays also - much healthier for her. When she is outside, the moment the "warmies" touch her seams to instantly force the ol' bowel movements to get going too. Now, as for that harness, you can do as you please, but that particular harness would drive my little girl nuts. She is already looking around the sky for predators, catching a glimps of those flapping wings out of the corner of her eye may occasionally startle her. I could be wrong as many people use them, I just know my girl and she would not be delighted. Do I have trouble slipping her into her harness (homemade from shoestrings), quite frankly no. I believe she understands what it is just like a dog waiting to have the leash attached to the collar to go for a walk. So, I think once you get your baby used to being outside, he/she will really like it. Oh, and just so you know, you don't just take your baby outside and PLOP him/her on the ground. I always carry her out, hold her a while and when she is ready (and sure nothing is going to attack her) she tries to shimmy down to go run around (on leash). She doesn't always want down, but when she is REALLY insistent, usually means that digestive tract is working and things are MOVING :) And, like someone else said....they walk you, you don't lead them. Good luck to you, wish you all the best - enjoying your little treasure :)

EontheRocks

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is a good video to watch, this is how I made my bearded dragon harness.

I used this video too! Then we did a box knot up the leash to make it look fancier. It works amazing! I can't wait till my baby can get in one. In the meantime, she has a playpen outside that she hangs in.

Attachments

• 20200721_145722.jpg
    20200721_145722.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • 20200721_145804.jpg
    20200721_145804.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I used this video too! Then we did a box knot up the leash to make it look fancier. It works amazing! I can't wait till my baby can get in one. In the meantime, she has a playpen outside that she hangs in.
OMG! love the playpen. Looks like a good idea if you want to get them outside for fresh air when they are that young. Course Dex is still a little nervous just looking out the window at the big, bad world. lol If anything moves he ducks and flattens himself in my hand, so it will be a tad bit before I actually take him outside. I don't want to give him a heart attack.

I checked out Dex's leash and it looks like I can remove the wings easily if he doesn't like them. :) I'm hoping he doesn't mind them as they are just too cute. lol

Latest posts