• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Leash training

Sosemisa

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I want to put my 3 month old beardie on a leash and see what he does. And get him use to being on a leash early so he doesn’t hate it when he’s older. Is it to early to start? If so when can I start?

AlvinVab

Bearded Dragon Egg
So B has been doing soooooo much better on the leash. I went to a Martingale collar and a 2 lead... what a difference. He still pulls a bit but not as much, and walks by my side just fine. Seems he really likes to be in front for some reason. Also, it takes him about 2 houses to settle down and stop jumping and tugging on the lead. I got the bigger collar so he can grow into it, but it still clicks one or two links when tightened. Yesterday, he did so well we actually did two laps around the neighborhood

On we go with training....

-Jeff

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So B has been doing soooooo much better on the leash. I went to a Martingale collar and a 2 lead... what a difference. He still pulls a bit but not as much, and walks by my side just fine. Seems he really likes to be in front for some reason. Also, it takes him about 2 houses to settle down and stop jumping and tugging on the lead. I got the bigger collar so he can grow into it, but it still clicks one or two links when tightened. Yesterday, he did so well we actually did two laps around the neighborhood

-Jeff
He really walks like a dog? I heard that most times they'll just lay there, but still can't wait. It's sooo cool that B will actually walk around and get his exercise. Bet you get the looks as you both stroll on by. hahahahahaha

Pigmom

Bearded Dragon Egg

-Jeff
That is so cool. What is a martingale collar? Can u post a pic please?

Sosemisa

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Dex is still too little to try it, but I'm looking forward to when he will be old enough. Hoping he doesn't freak out about it, 'cause dang I wanna "walk my beardie". lololol
Hahah yeah i REALLY want him to be able to explore everywhere. I have 3 cats who love him. Well not friendly. They try to attack and kill

Sosemisa

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

-Jeff
[/QUOT
I can’t wait for zeus to get his leash

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Oh that kinda sucks. But maybe if you take it slow she will get use to it
Yeah, Back when I wanted to do it, I lived in a subdivision, now that I live in the middle of nowhere, with hawks, barn owls, coyotes, and those sorts of things, it's not as much of a big deal now. Not to mention all the poisonous plants she could eat when walking her. Usually I'll just let her run around the house, while I watch her so the stupid cat doesn't get her. (If you can't tell, I hate cats.) (Sort of.)

Sosemisa

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah, Back when I wanted to do it, I lived in a subdivision, now that I live in the middle of nowhere, with hawks, barn owls, coyotes, and those sorts of things, it's not as much of a big deal now. Not to mention all the poisonous plants she could eat when walking her. Usually I'll just let her run around the house, while I watch her so the stupid cat doesn't get her. (If you can't tell, I hate cats.) (Sort of.)
Well. Interesting. Why do you hate cats??

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Well. Interesting. Why do you hate cats??
There is a huge difference between a cat and any other animal. Take this as an example, this is the difference between a dog and a cat. You die, and the dog is going to mourn for its loss of a friend, but a cat would eat you, no joke. The cat would literally eat you, if you, or anyone else, died. Also because I own a cat on my farm that eats all the good birds. Long story short, cats are evil. LOL

Sosemisa

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
There is a huge difference between a cat and any other animal. Take this as an example, this is the difference between a dog and a cat. You die, and the dog is going to mourn for its loss of a friend, but a cat would eat you, no joke. The cat would literally eat you, if you, or anyone else, died. Also because I own a cat on my farm that eats all the good birds. Long story short, cats are evil. LOL
My cats aren’t evil. It all depends on how they were raised. But I understad why you feel that way

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My cat is a barn rescue. He has a split personality. One luvs to be cuddled and petted, the other is a demon on steroids. No joke. You never know which personality is present until it's too late. hahahaha
Yeah, mine's a spawn of Satan. Sort of. She just eats all the hummingbirds on the farm. The good thing is she eats all the mice, so that's a plus!