• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

lazy dragon

Dragondave

Hatchling Dragon
I have finally managed to get some food in ozzy tonight after 4 days.he hadnt eaten for nearly a week I think its due to him getting passed around alot before me getting him. Anyway he hasnt really been bothered with any live food bouncing around his viv he just looked at them stupid. Tonight he ate 1 locusts from my hand I know its not much but its progress right. But now im hoping that he doesnt expect to get hand fed every time. Ive since found out from his previous owner that he is a lazy boy and does enjoy hand feeding.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Oh boy, good luck with that! I have a lazy eater too. She will only eat what walks in front of her and only if she can stick her tongue out far enough to catch it! To keep myself sane, I put her crickets in a small glass bowl, crickets can't climb glass so they pretty much stay put. When it comes time to feed her I will put the bowl in front of her and get them to move and she will then eat them out of the bowl!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It seems the females are spoiled and want what's in front of them. They'd prefer to sit and be lazy. Here's Allie after eating her crickets from her container.
Allie18.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I think Noella is right, it's a female thing! Dexter will see the worms in front of her just out of reach and then look at me like "hey are you going to get those for me?" My boy though loves to hunt and won't take food from my hand even when I try.

It gets real frustrating trying to get her to eat and sometimes I just have to walk away from her and hope she'll get hungry enough to eat at the next meal. I think she senses I get mad and then she gets stressed and doesn't want to eat.

How old is your boy? Someone else said that when they get older they sometimes go for days without eating.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
I wudnt worry they can go off food for quite a few things. Like there moods weatuer they shedding or getting ready to shed. If they feel bunged up if they board of wot u givin them. They will eat wen hungry like ewt else. Yeh u do sometime get a lazy beardie but hand feeding a lazy beardie will only make it worse. Do u feed in the viv or out the viv?

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
I no this may sound silly but wen Diego wen through a stage of not eating much my bf made a game woth him. Hed get him out the.viv n put him in the hall shut all the.doors so he.can free run. And then hed throw locus dwn the hall n he wud chace them sliding on the wooden floor as he went along. Its so funny to watch i think some times wen they get in a habbits its hard to break. My bf loves to hand feed our beardies im sik of tellin him not to. Sone time Boris wnt eat unless he hand fed unless i do the feeding for a few days then he nos if he.dnt eat them il take them out after a while. They do pik up on thinks really quick. Diego will eat ewt either me or my bf put to him. But Boris is funny he will jump on the food as soon as i put it in coz he nos i wnt hamd feed them but wen my bf feeds them he sits there lookin at him with sad eyes as if to say. Thats a little too much called hard wrk. Will u feed me plz :( n the soppy sod he is he always does hehe.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I no this may sound silly but wen Diego wen through a stage of not eating much my bf made a game woth him. Hed get him out the.viv n put him in the hall shut all the.doors so he.can free run. And then hed throw locus dwn the hall n he wud chace them sliding on the wooden floor as he went along. Its so funny to watch i think some times wen they get in a habbits its hard to break. My bf loves to hand feed our beardies im sik of tellin him not to. Sone time Boris wnt eat unless he hand fed unless i do the feeding for a few days then he nos if he.dnt eat them il take them out after a while. They do pik up on thinks really quick. Diego will eat ewt either me or my bf put to him. But Boris is funny he will jump on the food as soon as i put it in coz he nos i wnt hamd feed them but wen my bf feeds them he sits there lookin at him with sad eyes as if to say. Thats a little too much called hard wrk. Will u feed me plz :( n the soppy sod he is he always does hehe.

I thought about this story the other day. I took Dexter out of her tank and put the worms on the floor in front of her. She ate 2 and then she wanted to go hide!

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There are several different types of worms. Mealworms, super worms, phoenix worms, silk worms, butter worms, wax worms, hornworms, earthworms, and probably more. I recommend that you stay away from earthworms and mealworms - mealworms have a lot of Chitin.

Latest posts