• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lazy beardie??

rubyandbruce

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone!
I have a bearded dragon who is around 10 years old (possibly even older but I don’t know exactly because I adopted him). He has never been the most active beardie but the last few years I have noticed him becoming increasingly inactive. Some days he will happily just chill in one spot all day. He is in great health with a good diet, great setup and good heating and lighting so I can rule out health and setup issues. I can’t imagine he is bored because he has a huge tank that I often rearrange and he has lots of time out of the tank every day. He is a joy to own as he is so friendly and loves a cuddle but I am still left wondering why he is often very inactive. Is it possible he is just lazy?? Would really appreciate any ideas and input

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi everyone!
I have a bearded dragon who is around 10 years old (possibly even older but I don’t know exactly because I adopted him). He has never been the most active beardie but the last few years I have noticed him becoming increasingly inactive. Some days he will happily just chill in one spot all day. He is in great health with a good diet, great setup and good heating and lighting so I can rule out health and setup issues. I can’t imagine he is bored because he has a huge tank that I often rearrange and he has lots of time out of the tank every day. He is a joy to own as he is so friendly and loves a cuddle but I am still left wondering why he is often very inactive. Is it possible he is just lazy?? Would really appreciate any ideas and input
Sounds like age w/ him slowing down- can you go over your set up for lighting mainly the UVB - that is the first thing I always ask people just to rule things out for a cause

rubyandbruce

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sounds like age w/ him slowing down- can you go over your set up for lighting mainly the UVB - that is the first thing I always ask people just to rule things out for a ca
Sounds like age w/ him slowing down- can you go over your set up for lighting mainly the UVB - that is the first thing I always ask people just to rule things out for a cause
I’m not sure the exact dimensions of the tank but it is large with a 100W basking lamp and a 900mm 12% UVB D3+ lamp

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Where is the uvb in the tank or top of screen?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In the tank
Ok make sure the basking decor is directly under the uvb 12-15 inches- how old is the bulb? Surface basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- if all this is good and he's eating and pooping good I gonna say it's age - have you tested his poop for parasites

rubyandbruce

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok make sure the basking decor is directly under the uvb 12-15 inches- how old is the bulb? Surface basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- if all this is good and he's eating and pooping good I gonna say it's age - have you tested his poop for parasites
Yea it is and the bulb is three months old, I replace it every five months. He has regular check ups at the vet so I’m assuming he’s just a bit old and he wasn’t the most active dragon anyway.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea it is and the bulb is three months old, I replace it every five months. He has regular check ups at the vet so I’m assuming he’s just a bit old and he wasn’t the most active dragon anyway.
Then it's the age creeping up I am guessing- if he's eating basking pooping and still semi active I d say he's ok

Latest posts