• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lay Box Help

Melissam517

Hatchling Dragon
Hello, so I wrote about this two posts back, but my beardie is having all the signs of wanting to lay eggs (infertile), BUT SHE SEEMS TO HATE the lay box. I’m using a deep enough bin, play sand, poured hot water on it to make warm, and clipped a basking light to it. And at this point I’m just wondering if I’m just stressing her out putting her there or if I should just leave her? I should mention that she’s not doing many “digging” motions but just glass surfing like crazy, and I don’t feel any eggs in her stomach, but all other signs are telling me she’s gravid. What should I do??? Could it be possible that she’s not even gravid and just crazy???

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, so I wrote about this two posts back, but my beardie is having all the signs of wanting to lay eggs (infertile), BUT SHE SEEMS TO HATE the lay box. I’m using a deep enough bin, play sand, poured hot water on it to make warm, and clipped a basking light to it. And at this point I’m just wondering if I’m just stressing her out putting her there or if I should just leave her? I should mention that she’s not doing many “digging” motions but just glass surfing like crazy, and I don’t feel any eggs in her stomach, but all other signs are telling me she’s gravid. What should I do??? Could it be possible that she’s not even gravid and just crazy???
Was the lighting gone over w/ you in the tank ? What are the basking temps in the tank ? And how are you taking them? UVB ? brand and bulb please ---- this is the first thing we usually go over w/ this kind of behavior so it can be ruled out for the cause --

Melissam517

Hatchling Dragon
Was the lighting gone over w/ you in the tank ? What are the basking temps in the tank ? And how are you taking them? UVB ? brand and bulb please ---- this is the first thing we usually go over w/ this kind of behavior so it can be ruled out for the cause --

Hey, I answered this two posts back, I believe it was to you.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
May we see the bin? It needs to be damp, not moist or wet, if you lay a paper towl on it and push down and it soaks up water , you have way to much, you want the towl to be slightly damp after pushing on it. You also want a tiny amount of soil mixed into it 70% sand to 30% soil (no fertilizer, vermiculite(the white chalky rocks) or tiny green balls that hold waterand) NO light near it, keep putting her in it when she’s scratching, she’s already stressed if shes surfing, so moving her wont add to it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey, I answered this two posts back, I believe it was to you.
Ok so did you get it changed out then? When you get her out how long is she out for and what is the behavior when you put her back in the tank?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
You want it to kinda resemble this, make shure the hole is big enough, start a dig spot for her, lots of people do it differently, they even take their beardie out of their enclosure and put them in the bin full time (i only recommend this when you feel eggs, as it could add to stress) your beardie may be in the process of making eggs and thats why shes crazy, if you dont feel eggs (and please do be gentle) then just wait, it takes time for them to develop, and it will be hard to feel them as they are infertile (why i said they can be mistaken for stool in your original post)

Attachments

• 9A8B44E3-1F08-44EC-A444-A4A269CF9516.jpeg
    9A8B44E3-1F08-44EC-A444-A4A269CF9516.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 14

Melissam517

Hatchling Dragon
May we see the bin? It needs to be damp, not moist or wet, if you lay a paper towl on it and push down and it soaks up water , you have way to much, you want the towl to be slightly damp after pushing on it. You also want a tiny amount of soil mixed into it 70% sand to 30% soil (no fertilizer, vermiculite(the white chalky rocks) or tiny green balls that hold waterand) NO light near it, keep putting her in it when she’s scratching, she’s already stressed if shes surfing, so moving her wont add to it.
Ok so to explain, there IS extra water in there because this stupid sand gets cold in like 2 seconds! So I kept pouring warm water to keep it warm. It’s so annoying! And it’s super heavy so this wasn’t easy. Also, I got this lay box idea from YouTube, so I wasn’t prepare with soil, I just bought sand. And as you can see, she just wants out.

Attachments

• 65D477D0-CE89-4834-8956-2E9BA5515372.jpeg
    65D477D0-CE89-4834-8956-2E9BA5515372.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14

Melissam517

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so did you get it changed out then? When you get her out how long is she out for and what is the behavior when you put her back in the tank?
I take her out every time she starts going crazy for as long as she’s willing to run around which can be up to 20 minutes. So sometimes I take her out like 4-5 times. And she goes crazy while outside of the enclosure too, which is the weird part because she was always calm inside or outside the enclosure.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok so to explain, there IS extra water in there because this stupid sand gets cold in like 2 seconds! So I kept pouring warm water to keep it warm. It’s so annoying! And it’s super heavy so this wasn’t easy. Also, I got this lay box idea from YouTube, so I wasn’t prepare with soil, I just bought sand. And as you can see, she just wants out.
LAYBOX

potting soil that doesn't have any type of
chemicals or fertilizers in it, mixed with sand, etc. Be sure it is at least 10-12 inches deep & that
the mix is damp enough to where it will hold up to her making a burrow but not sopping wet to
have standing water.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I take her out every time she starts going crazy for as long as she’s willing to run around which can be up to 20 minutes. So sometimes I take her out like 4-5 times. And she goes crazy while outside of the enclosure too, which is the weird part because she was always calm inside or outside the enclosure.
I would leave her out for 2 hours -- then put her in the tank and see what she does --- I posted a Laybox for you- this came from a breeder that has bred dragons for ever --- when you took her to the vet did they say she was gravid?

Melissam517

Hatchling Dragon
LAYBOX

potting soil that doesn't have any type of
chemicals or fertilizers in it, mixed with sand, etc. Be sure it is at least 10-12 inches deep & that
the mix is damp enough to where it will hold up to her making a burrow but not sopping wet to
have standing water.
So many contradicting things on the internet, I'll take your advice, thanks a lot.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So many contradicting things on the internet, I'll take your advice, thanks a lot.
Yes there is thats why its good to consult w/ dragon owners that have lots of experience -- I am not real good w/ egg laying and stuff but I have learned some things from one who are -- make sure you get a basking bulb set up over her in the lay box use a clamp and a lower basking bulb set up for her and make sure you use a digital probe thermometer to get a temp----

Melissam517

Hatchling Dragon
I would leave her out for 2 hours -- then put her in the tank and see what she does --- I posted a Laybox for you- this came from a breeder that has bred dragons for ever --- when you took her to the vet did they say she was gravid?
Her vet appointment is tomorrow, thankfully.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Oh honey thats wayyyy to wet, and you are going with the big bin idea(thats okay! It’ll give her far more room, do put the light back in

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Id hate to add one more monkey to the barrel,
ok so see if she is a she for sure and if she has eggs-- keep us posted please
but looking at OPs beardies tail is it odd to you its really really fat then tapers dramatically?
what if its a male and theres stuck sperm plugs?
sorry if im adding fuel to the confusion fire......

Melissam517

Hatchling Dragon
Id hate to add one more monkey to the barrel,

but looking at OPs beardies tail is it odd to you its really really fat then tapers dramatically?
what if its a male and theres stuck sperm plugs?
sorry if im adding fuel to the confusion fire......
Hmm I don’t know much about that but her tail has been like that since she was smaller, it’s always looked kinda “bent”.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hmm I don’t know much about that but her tail has been like that since she was smaller, it’s always looked kinda “bent”.
Male Beardies genitalia are in their tails (they have two pp’s weird i know , but makes sense when trying to mate) im not talking about the bend i did see that in your first pics, im talking about how thick the base of the tail is then it gets really skinny after about two inches, idk just a thought, we’re all guessing at this point, hopefully your vet will bring some light to this

Melissam517

Hatchling Dragon
Male Beardies genitalia are in their tails (they have two pp’s weird i know , but makes sense when trying to mate) im not talking about the bend i did see that in your first pics, im talking about how thick the base of the tail is then it gets really skinny after about two inches, idk just a thought, we’re all guessing at this point, hopefully your vet will bring some light to this
Vet Update: ABSOLUTELY POINTLESS. She said she suspects it is a hormonal thing, and pretty much went on a rant about what female beardies go through when they want to lay eggs, etc. The only thing that came out of it is that she provided with some sort of powdered food that I have to mix with water and force feed it to her since she hasnt been eating.

Melissam517

Hatchling Dragon
Vet Update: ABSOLUTELY POINTLESS. She said she suspects it is a hormonal thing, and pretty much went on a rant about what female beardies go through when they want to lay eggs, etc. The only thing that came out of it is that she provided with some sort of powdered food that I have to mix with water and force feed it to her.
ALSO I was worried because my beardie came out of that vet looking very stressed and dark and she was so lethargic on the ride back and it made me regret the whole vet trip BUT 20 minutes of being in her enclosure and shes her hyper self again.

Latest posts