• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lathargic bearded dragon

Neil Sargent

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, first time joining a beardie forum in years. I have owned bearded dragons for 8 years. I have a male that is 8 and a female that is about 4-5. They have both been extremely healthy their whole life with me, and eating has never been a problem for either.

My problem is, my female has been acting lathargic the past couple of weeks. I thought it was just her brumation period, in which until this past winter she has never brumated before, only my male who is now completely out of that and has been for a month.

Her appetite is fine, eats her veggies, crickets and hornworms when I have them. She will even devour her occasional pinkie. I have noticed however when eating, especially chasing her crickets she just seems to wobble a little. This is the first time is 8yrs I have even observed this behavior, anyone have an idea?

I have 2 stacked custom built tanks that both have a power sun 160w bulb, both are 1 month old and is giving the proper UVA/UVB. Have been using these for 8yrs. Both also have 75w basking bulbs to make the tanks up to temp. Ea tank is 48L 25W 30h.

Any info on this would be much appreciated.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Neil,

3.jpg

I am unfamiliar with your description of symptoms, so I can only speculate. While older BDs don't require quite as much Calcium, it should still be provided, so my question is, is it being provided? Also, while it doesn't happen often, if a BD happens to get water in their ears from misting or bathing that for some reason or other, does not drain properly, it can & will throw their balance out. I am not saying that any of these are the cause, but are worth considering.

On the flip side, if it is not an ongoing thing, it may just be having a few off days.

Good Luck

Latest posts