• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lance, the dalmatian crested gecko!

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Just got 'Lance' yesterday. I picked him up for my friend, as my friend went to the US for the long weekend. I kinda don't wana give Lance to my friend LOL. I've never owned a crestie before, or even hold one for that matter. I love their sticky toepads!!! It feels sooo cool when they walk on you... and and if pet their backs, it's kinda fuzzy!

DSC01111.jpg

DSC01112.jpg

DSC01113.jpg

DSC01115.jpg

DSC01116.jpg

DSC01117.jpg

DSC01118.jpg

DSC01119.jpg

DSC01123.jpg

DSC01122.jpg

DSC01121.jpg

DSC01114.jpg

His tank needs some serious remodeling. He's arboreal afterall, yet there's barely any vertical height, or not even things he can even climb up onto...

Anyone here own a crestie? ;)

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't own any cresties.. however, you can easily add those rope type fake bendable vines with some nice wood pieces ( careful what you use...) to add vertical and horizontal features.
Hope this helps.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Already on it, Janie! ;)

I'm going to surprise my friend my cleaning the cage entirely, and make it look more visually appealing (better accessories..) ..... because the previous owners didn't do such a good job on that. :-\

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I own cresties.

Flip your tank on it's end so that it's | not _ . Gosh I hope that makes sense.

Cresties are actually very bad about licking their substrate. I'd choose something less particle for a safer habitat. I use alot of vines, leaves and wood decor complimented by some resin formed rocks. The rocks you have seem to be fine, as are the leafy plant decor. Just get some more up on the walls.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Twobeardieguy said:
Yaaayyyy I have a reptile named after me! ;)

Hey Lance, meet Lance. ;D LOL

Gina, it makes sense lol! I understand. I'll give my friend the heads up about that.
I actually took out the substrate for that reason... and it was dirty. I hope my friend will keep the paper towel idea. It looks soooo much cleaner too. I actually added more stuff into the tank, so here it is so far:

crestie.jpg

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
awesome little crestie spot. you did good. paper towels are a good choice. i use them too!

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks! :D And with paper towels, at least you can feed them bugs in the cage! Trying to feed him in a container is difficult.

Gina, do you think how the tank is now is sufficient enough? Or should the tank still go on the side to give it more height ? Oh, and is the little cup of water necessary? Because the previous owners had it in there, so I'm not too sure if there's a purpose. I wouldn't think they drink from a cup, I would think they would lick up drops from the tank and plants when I mist it. But then again, I don't know a WHOLE lot about cresties ;)

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
they do more licking than they do drinking.
The cup of water depends alot on how your humidity holds up there. If it's good for him, let it stay. Just make sure it's not deep. Cresties can drown.

I feed Repashys. Lemme tell ya why. there's this little thing called nematodes. baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad stuff. almost everything carries them. But in cresties, an over abundance is death. You can also use fruit baby food. I like the repashy's because it's a full scale diet. And ................I'm lazy. lol......

I think he's gonna love his new diggs. he'll still climb the sides, so it's fine. Make sure your lid is on good.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So it is okay to use the Repashy's alone? (no bugs)

And, ever made your own creation? Because what if I used saaaay fruits + calcium powder (with d3) + crickets? All of that blended.

I'm wondering because my friend's mother HATES bugs, and will not let my friend keep bugs in his house.

wildenglishrose

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yeah i have one, he's called Leo or little guy as i call him mostly. Here he is
P100402_073904xxx.jpg
;D Your tank would be much better the other way round if you get what i mean. They like to be hiding way up in the trees/branches. Lance is very cute.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh..........I missed that question.

So it is okay to use the Repashy's alone? (no bugs)

And, ever made your own creation? Because what if I used saaaay fruits + calcium powder (with d3) + crickets? All of that blended.

yes, Repashy's Crested Gecko Diet is a full scale diet. Fruits, proteins, supplements all rolled into one. No need to feed any bugs at all. My cresteds don't eat bugs.

I've made my own mixes. They worked. But I am the slightly lazy type. At one point, I was feeding well over 250 animals per day. I like things simple. Add water and stir doesn't get any easier for me. ;)

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Okay cool! When my friend and I went to a pet store, his 'friend' that works there, gave us unnecessary information about how to care for cresteds. She says that they'll die in time if ONLY given CGD. And something like they need uvb.... she just kept yapping.

Oh and if cresteds are fed bugs - does the rule of 'no bigger than the space between the eyes, or from eye to nose' apply? Because that girl says "Oh that's only the rule for beardies, you know." Personally, I can't see someone (or myself for that matter) feed cresteds adult crickets, when their head are barely that big.

So if I made my own mix, would the fruit + bugs + calcium powder work? At least I know everything I'm putting into it ;)

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Somebody better tell my cresties they're time is up. They seem to be carrying on as usual. lol
I don't provide UVB for them, they're nocturnal. Nocturnal animals have the metabolic capability of replicating their own vitamin D3 thru their prey items with sufficient supplementation, not lighting that can both stress them out and dehydrate them. Cresties don't do well with high temps.

naturally, let your judgement be your guide. When i fed my cresteds crix, i fed them 1/2 grown crix or those just barely bigger. not full grown crix. And you'll find that your crix hide in his enclosure easily. watch that.

your mix will work. Calcium 2 x per week. Too much is hard to flush from the system.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Okay thanks for the helpful info, Gina! I will pass it on to my friend (who now has Lance.... :()

ladyknite said:
Cresties don't do well with high temps.

My room was 86*F a few days ago, so I had to move him to the kitchen table! Guess I can't own tropical kinds of reptiles in my room lol

Another question, do they need a multivitamin?

Oh yeah and I did Lance's tank one more time before I gave him to my friend:
;D
crested.jpg

I found these nifty plants that had bendable metal at each end, so I was able to hook them up to the top :D

Latest posts