1. Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragon Enclosures' started by Redbec98, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Redbec98

Redbec98 Bearded Dragon Egg

Good morning ~ my daughter (14) got her bearded dragon from a friend that was giving him away. We’re not exactly sure how old he is, I’m guessing around 6. We’re about to convert an old tv cabinet into a large enclosure for him where he’ll have a lot more space, including 4’ vertical from top to bottom.
    Any suggestions of any “must haves” in it? Or setup suggestions?
    Thanks!
  2. kaylynangel

kaylynangel Juvenile Dragon

Make sure you have the correct lighting for this tank - how big is the enclosure? Here is some info for UVB
    Which UVB light should I use?

The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- this lighting is crucial for the over all health of the dragon - it controls their digestion and behavior-- make sure you have a good bright white basking bulb NO COLORED bulbs---------- good decor for him to be able to sit under his basking bulb and UVB--- temps should be 95-100 for basking and 80's on cools side -- I can help w/ more please ask questions
    kaylyn
  3. Redbec98

The enclosure will be 37”W 20”W 47”H. What length of ReptiSun would be best?
    Thanks!
  4. kaylynangel

You can go 2/3 of tank you don't want it whole length-- he needs to be able to get away from it--- if you go w/ the T 5 it can go on top of screen T 8 inside --
    kaylyn
  5. Redbec98

Great, thanks!
  6. KatKuMo

KatKuMo Bearded Dragon Egg

I'd love to see a photo of the end result, I bet it's awesome.
  7. Redbec98

This is where we’re at right now. We still need a few thing. He LOVES to bask on the log! Now that we’ve seen that he’ll climb up it (and more importantly, back down!) we’ll might make use of more of the vertical space. He’s much happier in the living room with all the activity than he was in my daughters bedroom!

Attached Files:

KatKuMo likes this.
  8. KatKuMo

Looking great!!
  9. kaylynangel

The UVB is too high and is doing no good --- max height is 10-11 inches for a T 5--- the tank needs more floor space --- height is not real good for a dragon -- chameleon yes but not dragons---
    kaylyn
  10. KatKuMo

Ah, yeah, I always wonder about that when I see the larger tanks. I'm trying to be careful and take my time in planning Murray's next tank, or enclosure, etc. I would think that in a larger tank, you could mount a UVB lower, and maybe suspend a heat lamp, but you'd still get heat loss above it. I really like having my temperature gauge node rubber banded around the basking perch, that helped me understand Murray's behavior. He doesn't like the temperature as hot as recommended at all, he'll go hide in his cave until I change the bulb down to a 75 watt. Or maybe that's normal for an adult.
  11. kaylynangel

Older dragons dont like the real hot temps or so I am told --- but they still need it around 95 or so for digestion --
  12. KatKuMo

Ah, ok, so it isn't just Murray, lol. His basking spot does get to the low 90s, and he does sit there from time to time.