• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Korky just will not stay warm

Raevyn

Bearded Dragon Egg
Dragons can be so frustrating.

Korky has been doing very well since we rescued him. Lately he has decided that he hates the warm side of his cage. He avoids his basking area and he sleeps under his log hide or over by the water dish on the cold side of his tank. I even got an under tank heater to maybe help warm him from the other side, but he avoids that too.

He was recently to the vet for an upper respiratory infection, he was coughing and weezing. Vet says it was because he was too cold. That has cleared up now, but I still have to force him to warm up. He would rater sleep all the time. He does not want to eat unless I hand feed him everything.

Could it be a Brumanation thing? Or do you think I have a more serious problem?

Thank you for your time.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
it could be brumation. it could be something else. yes - frustrating ! try increasing the heat all across the viv - to revent a respiratory relapse. under tank heater? beardies dont sense heat on their bellies - that's why the heated rocks are not recommended - they can burn their selves! hope he's ok and just wanting to sleep for a couple of months

Raevyn

Bearded Dragon Egg
I did not realize that about the under tank heaters. There is so much to learn about these guys and I feel like I am always learning something new. My strategy was to get heat to as many places in the tank as I could. He is always crawling on my friend to be near her skin because she is warmer than most.
He is a silly guy, but we love him dearly and will do whatever it takes to make sure he is happy and healthy. He was a rescue from the shelter and has come a long way in 6 months. He is fatter and happier than ever... But now he just wants to sleep.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Happy is good Never stop learning!

Latest posts