• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

kinks in his tail and back

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ok so for the past month I have seen my Kyuubi's tail and back where its sorta bent. well i figured maye he just liked laying on his side and it looked like kinks in his tale and back.

i got a picture of his tale but the back ones do not show up in the pics cuz of his patterns.

anyway i thought maybe it was MBD but i know i gave him plenty of UVB and calcium supplement so i thought real hard about it.

i THINK that a while back when my cat attacked my BD(almost killed him) she broke his spine and tail in several places and it healed slightly crooked, tell me what u think.

23lnmle.jpg

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Makes me glad I don't have a cat. Instead, I've got three dogs. I don't really trust them around Allie, Will, and any type of small animal. To them, they're just toys and prey.

The injury looks painful and did you take him to the vet for treatments? Spinal cord injuries lead to paralyzed limbs.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Makes me glad I don't have a cat. Instead, I've got three dogs. I don't really trust them around Allie, Will, and any type of small animal. To them, they're just toys and prey.

The injury looks painful and did you take him to the vet for treatments? Spinal cord injuries lead to paralyzed limbs.

the attack happened in may i believe and he was only 7 inches, no reptile vets around here knows much about reptiles and the ones that do accept reptiles only accept the larger ones. here soon im going to get him X-rayed to see whats going on.

he does not seem to be in pain, he walks, and runs, hes very very active. i just think the bone set weird, i did not even know it was messed up untill a little while ago.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Glad that you're going to get x-rays. That's good that he's not in any pain because the way the bone set looks like it. Good luck.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
That looks like it may have been painful at one point in time. Poor Kyuubi!

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
oh my goodness im so scared idk whats wrong with him now. i have not gotten x rays yet. i was going through old pics of him and looking at his body. this was after the attack by about 3 months and no kinks or anything. now the kinks are there allof a sudden in the past two months.

He is doing a TON of glass running and jumping on his tail, if he props himself up by his tail would it break. i thinkhe did it to himself.

the only change i could think of was i put him on sand about 2 months ago.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
HAve FINALLY found a vet close to me(hour and a half away) that takes reptiles, in fact specializes in them 20 years. i set up an appointment at 3:45PM today and im taking kyuubi in.

don't know that X-rays will happen considering its very, very expensive and im very, very poor. however considering that i dont have any clue as to why he has kinks in his tail and back i need to take him to the vet and get his opinion.

I swear if he tell me MBD im going to be pissed. There is no way possible that i can see on how he would have this when i feed him twice daily and fresh greens almost every day(i do try to everyday but i am super super busy with work) and everything gets dusted.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would be replacing the UVB bulb ... and make sure that he can get close enough. MBD has my vote because of the rapid degeneration.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
thats the thing i just changed the UVB bulb last month. i got him checked out and he has MBD. my doctor said that consitering i dust everything and have two udb bulbs running he believe my dragon may have a birth defect due to inbreeding thats making it harder for him to absorb calcium. i now am spraying his veggies with liquid calcium spray, spraying the food the insects eat, and i bought new calcium powder, there is a chance the powder i was useing to dust my live food was defective or something, like it may have been not 40% calcium like it says

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Glad you got him to the vet and one with apparently a lot of reptile experience and that you know what you are dealing with. I didn't see this before I replied to you PM but there may be some info in that that may still be helpful.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I am very sorry to hear that Kyuubi has MBD. I know you were doing everything in your power to take care of him right.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
While this is a very confusing time im having a hard time not blaming myself as i am the one who is taking care of him.

I thank you all for your advice, now is the time to prevent and reverse what little damage i can with the new dusting calcium i bought and the liquid one im giving him orally as well as spraying on his veggies. now if any further degeneration i will know is on the part of my dragons breeding.

when i talked to the vet after the appointment he said this is not the first time he has seen a bearded dragon where the owners are doing everything it seems and yet they still get MBD, and he believes its bad breeding.

Nemo

Hatchling Dragon
Oh wow! So sorry about Kyuubi. Good luck and keep us posted

Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk 2