• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Kids begging me to get them a Beardie

Fache

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello Folks, hope everyone is doing well! Totally new to the forum and to the hobby. I have vast salt water aquarium experience but no BD or reptile knowledge. kids are 6 & 9 and excited to have a Beardie as a pet. So Dad get to do all the research and get ready for set up lol. Happy to do so! A question that came up and could not get an answer on is: can We put old dried out live rock (from a salt water aquarium) in the BD eco system/tank? Will this type of rock/substrate be harmful to the BD?

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes, that would hurt your beardie. I recommend just normal tile from your local home improvement store. NOT laminate flooring, that will kill your bearded dragon from toxic fumes from the heat bulb. Bearded dragons are hardy reptiles, but I wouldn't let your children over hold them, as they are still small and could get hurt. Make sure you clean out the tank WELL, before you put your bearded dragon in the tank.

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Okay, sorry. That would not hurt your beardie. I thought you meant rock as a substrate on the ground. If you are just using it for decor, it should be fine. Make sure it is not a sharp rock. Just remember to clean it very well.

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Keep in mind, that bearded dragons are great pets. Especially for kids, just don't let them hold the thing to death. I'd say 30 - 40 minutes twice a day should be fine. If the bearded dragon seems uncomfortable, just let it run around a little bit, and it'll be fine.

KatKuMo

Hatchling Dragon
One warning - I wish someone had told me, beardies have poor depth perception, and they try to jump off tables and backs of couches - and that can hurt them, so for the times you have them out of the tank, be right there to catch them if they decide to jump.

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
One warning - I wish someone had told me, beardies have poor depth perception, and they try to jump off tables and backs of couches - and that can hurt them, so for the times you have them out of the tank, be right there to catch them if they decide to jump.
True, forgot to add that in there. Thanks!

Latest posts