• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Keeping the cool side, cool?

cburns32

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Photobucket isn't working now so I'll get pics of the viv up later...

I have Vegeta in a 40-gallon breeder. Everything is going great, Vegeta's thriving and he loves his new cage. I'm just a little worried about the temperatures in his cage...the cool side gets up to 89*F at some points but usually is at about 84*F while his basking spot is about 115 - 117*Fand his hot side runs at about 98 - 100*F. If photobucket was working and I could show you a picture of my basking side I would so here is my best description...I have two probes on the basking side one on the top of the back wall and another about 7 inches below the basking lamp on a log that runs from the back wall to the front wall (this is his basking spot generally) the back wall probe reads 98 to 100 and the basking spot probe reads about 115-117. A picture would be much more helpful so you can see how I have the hot side setup. Should I lower the wattage of the bulb (currently a 100W household bulb) to a 90W, 80W or 75W??

Once I get the picture up you will all be more likely to understand...

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The basking spot is a bit high. For dragons under a year, I like to see the basking spot around 105 or 110F. Dragons over a year old somewhere around 95F or 100F. Your cool side is fine. For all ages, around 85F is ideal.

You can drop the wattage down to 90 and see what difference that makes.

cburns32

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I could not find a 90W household bulb anywhere so I got a 75W and a 60W. I'm going to try those out if they don't work I don't know what I am going to do.

cburns32

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Switched to a household 75W....after 25 minutes 107.5*F basking, 98*F on hot side and still 88*F on cool side. Here are pictures...

The first picture is of the hot side, the back probe is reading 98*F and the middle probe reads 107.5*F, which you cannot see in the picture, is right on the log where the suction cup is in the middle of the picture.

IMG_20101118_132532.jpg

The second picture is the cool side, the probe on the far right of the tank is reading 88*F.

IMG_20101118_132540.jpg

The third picture is of the viv as a whole.

IMG_20101118_155934.jpg

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
88* isn't horrendous, but still a little high. Can you show a picture of the lighting at the top of the tank?

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I keep the lamp on my 40b clamped up away from the tank, if my cool side gets to warm I change the angle of the light away from the cool side. That usually brings it back down to where it needs to be.

Latest posts