• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Keeping him warm

Bibi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i can’t seem to keep King Thorn’s tank warm lately, perhaps b/c of ac being on in the house all the time. His tank is about 40x 25 and about 24” high. I have, besides the strip light, 2 100v heat lamps and 2 fluorescent bulbs. I’ve ordered a 3rd heat bulb, but is there something more efficient than having all these lamps? Thanks, guys.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
100v or 100watt bulbs? What are you measuring your temps with?

We have our air set to 74degrees and it’s nice and cool in our house and the 50watt bulbs are keeping the basking temps on spot.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Our house is also set for 74F and we also use 50 watt basking bulbs and temps right in range.

Bibi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well it looks like one of the heat bulbs was failing. I put in a new one and voila, we're up to 95.
OK Here's another question. King Thorn loves to sit in his water. Once I realized that, I gave him a larger bowl that he can actually get half of his big old body into without overwhelming the tank. Why is this? I give him a warm bath every few days for hydration, help him poop, and because he seems to like it. Is it unusual for a beard to go out of his way to get into water?
Thanks
l.php

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
He could just like to play in the water. Make sure that he doesn't sleep in it overnight and watch that it doesn't raise the humidity in the tank. How old is he?

Bibi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
He could just like to play in the water. Make sure that he doesn't sleep in it overnight and watch that it doesn't raise the humidity in the tank. How old is he?
I don’t know. I adopted him from the humane society about 2 years ago and they -thought-he was 2. That’s not him in the picture btw. That’s a big old Mexican beach iguana. So gnarly!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Like patsy said he may just like to sit in the water. But yes dont let him stay in it as it can lead to bacterial issues, fungal issues and raises the humidity in the tank that can lead to upper respiratory issues.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Like patsy said he may just like to sit in the water. But yes dont let him stay in it as it can lead to bacterial issues, fungal issues and raises the humidity in the tank that can lead to upper respiratory issues.

Latest posts