• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

keeping greens fresh

Silkmoth

Hatchling Dragon
How can I keeping kale and other greens fresh? I don't have a car so shopping is tough. I bought some kale and it turned yellow in afew days. Can anyone help? Thanks, Robin.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I found washing their greens with cool water helps before wrapping them up in a moist towel (Paper towels or cheesecloth). If you're putting them in a plastic bag, squeeze out all the air before sealing it completely. (I also have the green produce containers, so I can use bags or containers. I haven't had to change greens but once a week since doing this and they still smell fresh. I even sample Allie's food out of curiosity. Never had collards. (They taste great and have a cabbage-like taste to me. :)

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Here's my trick for extending greens...Go to Walmart, Target or one of the other "big box" stores and purchase a salad keeper or other tub which has one of those rubber gasket seals in the lid. I use 3 salad keeper tubs but we have a few "salad eaters" in the house...lol
Wash your greens in cold water and then shake as much excess water off of them as you can. Then cut the heaviest of the stems off of the leaves which will make them go into the tub easier.
Now for the trick....take a couple of paper towels and fold them over and place them in the bottom of the tub. This soaks up any more excess water you couldn't shake out. If you let the water pool in the bottom of the tub it will cause your greens to go bad quicker.
Leave the folded paper towels in the bottom of your tub and add your whole leaves of greens BUT do not pack them in tightly. Packing them tight makes them go bad quicker too.
Once your tub is full then put your lid on and make sure to squeeze out extra air by pressing down on the center of the lid as you close the tub.
Anytime you open the tub to get greens out look thru the leaves and remove any that are starting to turn before closing your tub and try to not leave your tub out of the refrigerator any longer that you have to.
Every couple of days I will remove the paper towel and replace with new.
We go thru greens here fairly fast in our house between all of our critters and Kat and I both being Vegetarians so we are buying fresh every couple of days but I can tell you that by following what I just told you I can usually stretch greens for a good 3-4 days extra or more and have many times.
Also one more thing...when you buy greens by the bunch from the grocer make sure that you look at them good before you buy. Dont buy them if they already have wilted or yellowing leaves. And check the center of the bunches. A lot of the grocers keep the greens too cold especially under those sprinkler things and the combination of the cold and too much water being sprayed on them actually damages the greens. I"ve actually found bunches that had ice inside...never buy those cause they will go bad much quicker. They should be cool not frigid:)
Hope that helps!
Enjoy!!

Silkmoth

Hatchling Dragon
Thankyou for the great replies! So many ideas to consider and work out. I will try all of them and see what works for me.
I bought a salad keeper from amazon and froze some of the greens. I will be able to get my car back. Broken Axle. I will go shopping when I can for e trad greens to try the different ideas with.

Latest posts