• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Keeping Crickets Alive.

Spike2

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I really want to buy crickets in bulk but want to make sure that a ton of them dont die.
What is the trick to keeping these guys alive?
I have a large tupperware box (20 gal I think) but if I get like 1000 crickets I am assuming I will need another or 2 more so they have space.
So what are your ideas adn what do you do to keep them alive.

Ian

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ian, try Dubia roaches instead... much easier to keep, will breed with fair ease, no smell, little noise.

Hope this helps.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The biggest thing with keeping crix alive is to be sure the containers they are in are well vented. If not it will get moist inside the container and they will die. I never kept that amount at one time, but I did keep a few hundred. I used an old 20 gallon long tank with a mesh cover. It was perfect. Enough ventilation so that they never died. Make sure you put either some empty paper towel rolls or egg crates in there. Give them a place to hide and it is easy to get them out and into a baggie for dusting and feeding.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you can use the plastic bin but a tank works better. As Lisa pointed out make sure there is good ventilation, that is key to keeping them alive. When I kept 1000-2000 at a time I used a 18 gal bin for 1000 and a 50 gallon bin for 2000. I cut a whole in the lid and glued mesh screen to the top. Be sure to give them tons of egg crates to climb on or they will eat each other. Do not put water in there, they will drowned them selves and it raises they humidity. I fed mine collard greens with the thick stem. Just so you know that many crix will STINK. I kept them outside they smelled so bad. When I was keeping only 500 at a time I switched to a 10 gallon tank with a screen lid, they did better and the smell was tolerable and was able to keep them in the laundry room without the smell taking over the house.

As Janie pointed out, try roaches. I would have but they are not allowed where I live and didn't have the time to have them mailed to someone outside the state then drive to pick them up. Hope this helps