• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Keeping a beardie in an unusual setup?

CHIVVY

Bearded Dragon Egg
I need to rehome a dragon urgently. I have friend who has fallen in love with her and is desperate to take her. But here's the thing: he's against keeping animals in tanks/cages. He wants to let her run loose in his room. He's assured me the room stays at about 25c (he has a big lighting setup for growing plants). He would setup an area in the corner with basking lamp and uv tube. I've warned him how much their poop stinks and he's happy about that.
I'm just wondering if this is at all a plausible idea? I would love him to take her but not if it puts the dragon at risk.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Id worry about the beardies temps they need to b at a gud temp to digest food n b4 they wil eat. I wudnt recomend it only coz anything could happen while he out. They like to find corners n dark holes to creep in n go sleep. A low temp of 25 is ok through the nite but thats not a gud all day temp for eatin runnin rnd. Thats just my opinion anyway :)

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah - uh - no. The living room is not their natural habitat. Carpet is not their natural substrate. (Think nails gettin caught----) spider webs and dust balls are not natural encounters. If she goes to sleep under something, power goes out and she gets too cold --/. Nope. And what about that poop that you cant find? Really? I aint goin to his house fer dinner!

CHIVVY

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hard floors so no problem there. As for poop, its his bedroom, if he can live with it fair play, I couldn't! The temp was what I was most worried about but didn't think about dust and spider webs. Think I'll get I'll try to find my nearest rescue centre tomorrow. Thanks guys

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah this sounds like a sketchy idea at best. The dragon just won't thrive like he ought to if he's free-roaming

Latest posts