• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

juveniles

colin

Hatchling Dragon
are juveniles normally pretty skiddish?

Yes they are, as they are very small and young. They will attempt to hiss and open their mouth when you approach them.

Persevere and show them that you mean no harm by reaching in every day and stroking them, and hand feeding them worms or locust, this will show them
That your hand going into them is a good thing.

If you find this is to
Much for your baby then do it slowly, start by placing your hand next to them in the viv about 2 or 3 inches away and leave it there for 15 minutes and slowly move it away.

This will show them that your hand being in their viv means no harm, then after doing this for a few days with no reaction from your beardie move your hand closer and do the same thing until you are able to position your hand under them...

At this point you can try to lift them, always lift them from underneath approaching as if to stroke their beard.

The reason for this is because there is a little grey spot on their head and it is known as their "third eye" and it alerts the beardie to change in light such as shadow which would be caused by a bird of pray coming to get them from above which is kind of what your hand would simulate to them when very young meaning they will attempt to run.

Young beardies are very active and fast, I would recommend daily interaction when ever possible, such as taking them out and letting them roam on you or the room with you on the floor with them...

I would recommend it's a room with no heavy furniture they can run under or hide..

Baths are good for them a nice warm bath will help them hydrate and go to the toilet, not too deep and not a warm
Bath that you or I would go into that would just kill them it needs to be warm to touch..

Test this temperature with your wrist as it is the most heat sensitive part of your body.

The water should be about the same temp as your beardie feels when you lift him out of the viv from his basking spot or as warm as a bottle you would feed a newborn baby.

Never put your beardie in cold water this could cause a heart attack.

If your beardie is very young keep an eye in them as they may play dead in the bath for you to avoid them and this could lead to them drowning.

Also they love natural sun light take them out into natural sunlight in a little container maybe, but keep an eye on them ensuring that it is not to hot and watch they can't escape, by doing this they are getting great UVB and your should notice a massive difference in behaviour afterwords and the colours in your beardie will come out beautifully. Keep an eye out for
Birds though.

Hope this helps and I'm sure if someone disagrees they will mention it soon enough

Let me know how you get in my friend.

Colin

Latest posts