• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Juvenile sleeping a lot

Rammsteinfan

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I got a juvenile at the being of September. Not sure on exact age.

I had him in a 50gal but upgraded this week to a 120gal dubia. First week we had him the UVB hood and bulb wasn’t in. Now I have a 100W basking bulb in a dome and the UVB hanging inside the enclosure. Basking bulb is about 15-16” above slate and 14-15” for UVB.

So anyway he is skittish but didn’t hide. He eats great with feeders and salads. He gets calcium 3-4 times a week and multivitamin every 2 weeks.

He started getting darker and basking less right before the upgrade. Now he is getting up at 7am and going to bed at 1-3pm. He was staying up till 7:30.

He did have some diarrhea poop a few times but it went away and he was pooping every day or other day. Today I bathed him cause it had been a couple of days. He looked huge too. He pooped but it was less digested.

I’m thinking it’s his temps but not sure. One of the Facebook groups I’m in said to have the basking spot 100-103 degrees, ambient hot side 85-90, and cool side 75-80. Is that the correct gradient to use?

Any clue what it could be from or is he lazy? When I went to get him he was trying to sleep then also
. IMG_0492.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I got a juvenile at the being of September. Not sure on exact age.

I had him in a 50gal but upgraded this week to a 120gal dubia. First week we had him the UVB hood and bulb wasn’t in. Now I have a 100W basking bulb in a dome and the UVB hanging inside the enclosure. Basking bulb is about 15-16” above slate and 14-15” for UVB.

So anyway he is skittish but didn’t hide. He eats great with feeders and salads. He gets calcium 3-4 times a week and multivitamin every 2 weeks.

He started getting darker and basking less right before the upgrade. Now he is getting up at 7am and going to bed at 1-3pm. He was staying up till 7:30.

He did have some diarrhea poop a few times but it went away and he was pooping every day or other day. Today I bathed him cause it had been a couple of days. He looked huge too. He pooped but it was less digested.

I’m thinking it’s his temps but not sure. One of the Facebook groups I’m in said to have the basking spot 100-103 degrees, ambient hot side 85-90, and cool side 75-80. Is that the correct gradient to use?

Any clue what it could be from or is he lazy? When I went to get him he was trying to sleep then also
.View attachment 34744
They do go into a slow down period but juvenile dragons do not usually brumate--- slate rocks get really hot I do not recommend people using them for a basking rock - you want surface basking temps 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- ambient temps on the hot side around 100 or so high 90's - cool side is good - IR guns are good but can be off depending on the material used - digitals are the most accurate --- I would move the UVB down to around 13 inches --- try adjusting to what I posted here and then watch his behavior -- pooping slows down w/ age as well -- my two dont poop but every 3 weeks - if your surface basking temps are good and UVB is on par he should have no trouble pooping -- undigested bugs are usually a sign of improper surface basking temps -- baths are good for cleaning them if they have pooped themselves or they only drink for a bath --- too many baths will dry their scales out-- he should be getting insects every day along w/ salads and the insects lightly coated 5 x per week calcium D3 -- vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week lightly coated - this should be done till hes a year old then the diet will change

Rammsteinfan

Bearded Dragon Egg
They do go into a slow down period but juvenile dragons do not usually brumate--- slate rocks get really hot I do not recommend people using them for a basking rock - you want surface basking temps 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- ambient temps on the hot side around 100 or so high 90's - cool side is good - IR guns are good but can be off depending on the material used - digitals are the most accurate --- I would move the UVB down to around 13 inches --- try adjusting to what I posted here and then watch his behavior -- pooping slows down w/ age as well -- my two dont poop but every 3 weeks - if your surface basking temps are good and UVB is on par he should have no trouble pooping -- undigested bugs are usually a sign of improper surface basking temps -- baths are good for cleaning them if they have pooped themselves or they only drink for a bath --- too many baths will dry their scales out-- he should be getting insects every day along w/ salads and the insects lightly coated 5 x per week calcium D3 -- vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week lightly coated - this should be done till hes a year old then the diet will change
Thank you for the information. Should I just get a 12” brick for the basking spot or what else would be good to use?

I rarely give him a bath unless he runs through his poop. His belly was so big that I wasn’t sure if he was impacted. He did enjoy his bath for the first time.

I use a gun for the basking spot and Govee hygrometers for the ambient temps.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for the information. Should I just get a 12” brick for the basking spot or what else would be good to use?

I rarely give him a bath unless he runs through his poop. His belly was so big that I wasn’t sure if he was impacted. He did enjoy his bath for the first time.

I use a gun for the basking spot and Govee hygrometers for the ambient temps.
I am not hot on bricks they are rough / coarse- I use basking decor from PetSmart they are made out of resin and easy to clean but you can get logs and sticks from outside too- you would need to bake them.in the oven for 15 min at 300 to kill whatever is on or in them-- you can use rocks too they would need to be boiled- it's up to you- your using combos for ambient temps? You need a digital probe hygrometer placed on the back center wall of the tank-- exo Terra makes them--

Latest posts