• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Juvenile bearded dragon diet

Xcourtx

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys I’m very new to taking care of my bearded dragon. He’s about 3 months old and I got him a couple days ago but I’m not entirely sure what his diet should be. I’ve been told to feed him crickets or worms 2-3 times a day and then I’ve been told only feed him crickets ask treats. And I just want to make sure I’m keeping the little guy healthy ! Any tips are greatly appreciated:))

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
He should be getting around 70% bugs right now and 30% salad, roaches are one of the best bugs you can be feeding him(I personally hate crickets, they’re a really dirty feeder) also B.S.F.L are a great bug(you can put these into the salad(order large ones, the smalls are too small) make shure ur dusting with calcium and other supplements, vitamin d3 is especially important, dust his bugs around 3 times per week, id stay away from meal/super worms (everyone pingpongs between them being bad/good for baby beardies(they cant digest them apparently) (in my personal experience i think itd be fine as a every now and again (I unknowingly fed my beardy S/M worms for the first 6 months of her life) when you know better, you do better,..... :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Do not dust the BSFL- they are calcium enriched- dust the crickets or roaches 5 x per week once per feeding lightly coated w/ calcium D 3 - vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding - you can use the BSFL as lures to his salads- add them to the top and do it in front of him the movement will draw him to the bowl - you will need to use a glass or ceramic bowl so insects can't get out of-- now for the MOST important thing in the tank is the UVB and the basking temps--- NO COILS NO COLORED BULBS NO HEAT MATS- basking temps need to be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer No stickons please!!

JDEM10

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm in the same boat as you and please don't do what I've done. I went and bought a 40 gallon breeder a reptisun T5HO with a 10.0 uvb bulb and for basking light i made the mistake of getting the 150 watt reptisun basking bulb... I then installed the uvb under the mesh.

I now know that this particular lamp is rated proper uvb at 18-30 inches and the mesh blocks 40% 50% so i should have had it on top of the mesh to get a uvb rating proper at 9-15 inches which is what ya want in a 40 gallon breeder. The basking bulbs being uvb is an issue because they are good uvb up to 30-35 inches but you need to dial heat it's counter intuitive.

I now am running the T5HO over the mesh because the fixture itself reflects the uvb more powerfully it cancels out just about perfect with the mesh. I now know the basking bulb needs to be a UVA ONLY 50-65 watt floodlight bulb and a normal fluorescent 5500k-6500k light bulb for UVA visual light (appetite stimulation)

It's humid and cool in my house so im running a zilla pulse thermostat for the Ceramic heat emitters to keep it above 84 degrees at night. Baby bearded dragons can develop respiratory infections and other health issues at lower temps with higher humidity so I'm now filtering, dehumidifying, and heating the air in the room she is in and finally have her in proper uvb, uva, and heat. I ordered an expensive UVB Radiometer to make sure though. Hopefully these tips help you I wish i knew these things sooner i caused this baby a lot of undue stress due to ignorance and false info.

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
For how many bugs I would do 20-25 crickets a day. And salad. I do 10-12 crickets in the morning in the afternoon he gets some salad and then at night he gets 10-12 crickets. I would buy from joshes frogs and get the 250 crickets for 10 dallors every 2 weeks. With the greens it’s 25 dollars a month for food.

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
For how many bugs I would do 20-25 crickets a day. And salad. I do 10-12 crickets in the morning in the afternoon he gets some salad and then at night he gets 10-12 crickets. I would buy from joshes frogs and get the 250 crickets for 10 dallors every 2 weeks. With the greens it’s 25 dollars a month for food.
Sorry wrong info do at least 30 a day I had to correct that. Twenty will let them live and grow but is not good in the long term if you want to save money do 30 a day and max 80 a day

Latest posts