• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just some questions

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Okay well, I have a few questions, but didn't want to do different threads for each of them. So here it goes:

1. Is it true that bearded dragons can't breathe on their backs? (laying on their backs)

2. When do beardies reach adult size?

3. Is it at 16" that you can start giving beardies SUPERworms, regardless of age?

4. The repti-sun is for UVB. A regular household bulb can be used for a basking light. Don't beardies need uvb AND uva?

5. I'm going to be making a viv out of this antique display case I'm getting from my aunt (already has the glass on tracks so it saves me the hassle of figuring out how to do that myself ;D). It's 16" deep. Is this okay? As well, it is about 4' in length.

6. In the summer, I go to my cabin almost every weekend. I will be taking my beardies with me. I have a dresser out there that I will be making into an outside enclosure. But I'm wondering, is it possible to give them TOO much sun? I think I read somewhere on the forum that 30 minutes of natural sunlight is equivalent to a whole day of an artificial uvb source. So is more than 30 minutes of sun not good?

If so or not, well, if it starts to rain or get a little cooler (I will be putting the enclosure indoors), as long as they got 30 minutes of sun, can I use just a regular light bulb?

Darn, I had more questions, but I can't remember them. This always happens to me LOL

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Here goes -

1. Is it true that bearded dragons can't breathe on their backs? (laying on their backs). I have heard that it is uncomfortable for them and difficult to breathe. I'm not sure that they cannot breathe at all.

2. When do beardies reach adult size? Around 18 months

3. Is it at 16" that you can start giving beardies SUPERworms, regardless of age? A general rule for bearderd dragons is that their food source should be no larger than the space between their eyes. Personally, I like to see superworms given after they reach 1 year of age. This is the marking point for easier digestion.

4. The repti-sun is for UVB. A regular household bulb can be used for a basking light. Don't beardies need uvb AND uva? The ReptiSUN 10.0 offers both.

5. I'm going to be making a viv out of this antique display case I'm getting from my aunt (already has the glass on tracks so it saves me the hassle of figuring out how to do that myself Grin). It's 16" deep. Is this okay? As well, it is about 4' in length. minimum size is a 40 gallon breeder (36 3/16 x 18 1/4 x 16 15/16)

6. In the summer, I go to my cabin almost every weekend. I will be taking my beardies with me. I have a dresser out there that I will be making into an outside enclosure. But I'm wondering, is it possible to give them TOO much sun? I think I read somewhere on the forum that 30 minutes of natural sunlight is equivalent to a whole day of an artificial uvb source. So is more than 30 minutes of sun not good? Not that I know of. My herp vet recommends as much natural light as you can get. Just make sure you offer some shade for him to cool down.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
#3. But superworms are like 2 inches. The space between an adult beardie's eyes is not that big.

#4. Ahh, I did not know that.

#5. Well since it is longer in length, it makes up for the 2" lost in the width?

#6. Ah okay, just wanted to make sure.

And I repeat, if it starts to rain or get a little cooler (I will be putting the enclosure indoors), as long as they got 30 minutes of sun, can I use just a regular light bulb for the time they're not outside?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
#3, oops. Sorry, you are correct. I was regurgitating for under 12 months old. Under 12 months, I personally like to keep the food no larger than the space between their eyes.

#5, it will be a judgment call. The reasoning behind the width is to have enough room to turn around as their tales grow longer.

So, you are planning to have your beardie outside the majority of the days? Just make sure you keep them hydrated.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
#3. Okay. The reason why I wanted to start feeding them supers, is because there are people getting very annoyed with my cricket escapes. :mad: And hopefully my landlord won't come across one... Anyway, if they can be fed supers at 16", I can kinda start them off with the small ones I find when I get Charlie's supers?

#5. It will be for Charlie. Charlie is pretty small, at 16"!

And as long as it's nice and sunny outside, they will be out!

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Question 1...from what I have heard bearded dragons do not have a diaphragm so when on their backs they don't breath properly. Best just to keep them on their 4 legs.
"Bearded Dragons do not have diaphragms; they use muscles located between their ribs (intercostal muscles) for breathing." This statement is off an Animal Clinic site.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The only thing about the dresser for the outside enclosure that I see might be a problem is that it will get too hot. It may act as a greenhouse and cook them. You will have to make sure they have good airflow.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
beardie_love said:
1. Is it true that bearded dragons can't breathe on their backs? (laying on their backs)

They don't have a diaphram and they can breathe on their back though shallow as abdominal muscles can force air in. Bearded dragon though very very rare and I don't know if people actually know this, can perform death feigns in which they go all stiff on their backs for a short period of time. I have an old book from the 70's (when they were still considered Amphiboulorus and not Pagona) that demonstates this in pics from a wild BD.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Renee said . . .
#3, oops. Sorry, you are correct. I was regurgitating for under 12 months old. Under 12 months, I personally like to keep the food no larger than the space between their eyes.

Sorry . . quick question on this. Does that mean after 12 months the space between the eye rule falls away and you can feed any size???

AND beardie_love asked
The repti-sun is for UVB. A regular household bulb can be used for a basking light. Don't beardies need uvb AND uva?

The UVA / UVB issue has been adressed, but can you use a normal household bulb for basking?? Or does it have to be the "spotlight kind" Or does it have to be a specific reptile basking lamp????

Sorry beardie_love for jumping in with my own questions, its just they were the same as mine, and I needed some clarification on these two statements ::) ::)

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Monique, I think you can fudge more past 12 months of age, with the size of food. I certainly do with the roaches, and the greens I feed.

Well, you can use what ever house hold bulb that fixes the temps. Summer in GA is pretty hot, so I tend to use lower house hold watt bulbs.
I also have 3 enclosures with MVBs, one has a Reptisun 10.0.

Hope this helps.
Janie

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanx,

Yes it helps . . . I'm kinda struggling with the temps at the moment (Gonna buy a few diff watt bulbs when I fetch the kids from school) , am busy with measurements and temp readings and what have you...

Am gonna post today in Temp topic as I really need GOOD advice on this one, so keep 'em peeled pls. Just another 2 readings to go then I'll post.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Anyhoo, I am still awaiting an answer on a certain question. So, if the beardies get their few hours of sunlight, can I use just a regular household bulb when I put the enclosure inside? (In case it rains, or the temperature outside drops).

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well, you can use what ever house hold bulb that fixes the temps.

Thats a yes.... Also confirmed on various other posts

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardie_love said:
Anyhoo, I am still awaiting an answer on a certain question. So, if the beardies get their few hours of sunlight, can I use just a regular household bulb when I put the enclosure inside? (In case it rains, or the temperature outside drops).

How long inside? Personally, I'd have a UVB tube on hand for times like this as you never know when that rain spell could turn into a week or more.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Weather can be out of your control. Beardies can go a short time without UV, but these are usually in dire situations (moves, power outage). I tend to stay on the cautious side and would offer UV light even if they have been outside.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Craiger, well, until it's time for lights out! Like say if it starts to rain at 6pm. I put them inside, and their bedtime is 9pm. Something like that. As long as they got their few hours of uv. Oh, and I only go to my cabin for the weekend. Friday night to Sunday afternoon.

Renee, how long can they go without uvb? I mean, if I check the weather for a weekend and it's going to be crappy, I won't take them there, or I won't go. OH CRUD I'll need to buy a timer then! :eek:

Sheesh! This summer is going to be complicated. :-\ If I gotta buy a uvb tube for just in case, it's going to be an expensive time for me! Lol, 3 dragons! Sometimes I wish I only had 1 :p but you can't go back once you have em! I love them too much.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How big are the 3 enclosures ?
Can you set them side by side, with a visual barrier ?
If so, you can span a 4' tube over them...
Hope this helps out !
Janie

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Janie, the enclosure (for my babies) will be about 32" each. So, dividing that in half will be way too small. I don't have anything for Charlie yet sooooo....

Hmmm I guess I'll re-think the enclosures, for something bigger, so I can do that with the uvb tube. Garage sale shopping here I come !

Oh, and Janie, 24" long for an adult dragon will be okay? (As you were saying, dividing a 4' enclosure for 2 dragons)

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not long term lengthwise. Width wise, yeah that would do fine.
36" would be the very least for an adult lengthwise, just as the 18" width wise is the minimum.
Hope this helps !
Janie

Latest posts