1. Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragon Enclosures' started by Nyki, May 29, 2019.

1. Nyki

Nyki Bearded Dragon Egg

Just adopted this beardie and wanted to make sure there was nothing else I needed and that the bedding was correct also the person I adopted him from was only feeding him meal and butter worms do I need to add anything to this and how often. Should he eat[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
  2. JumpinJellyfish

JumpinJellyfish Juvenile Dragon

He's cute! He'll need a bigger tank before long, but at minimum, you need (if you don't already have) a basking (bright white) heat lamp, and a tube UVB light. You also need reliable thermometers to watch temps - he needs enough heat but a small tank can easily overheat. Mealworms aren't great, especially for a young one, and butterworms should be treats only. Good staple feeders are BSFL, dubia or discoid roaches (depending on what's legal where you live), silkworms. Hornworms are a good treat ad well. Crickets are readily available. Ypu should also offer dark greens (mustard, turnip, collards, for example),with veggies like squash as a mix-in. See the great list/chart of foods at beautifuldragons.com/nutrition
    For substrate, many people recommend things like slate tile, nonadhesive vinyl/linoleum type stuff, reptile carpet, even newspaper or paper towel. There are *very* strong opinions about loose substrates/sand, so I'm not going to get into that one, but do some research and make your own informed choice there.
  3. Nyki

Nyki Bearded Dragon Egg

I do have a light and a USB I have helped raise a bearded dragon for the past month so I knew about that but my concern is that the bottom of the tanks front panel is mesh I really do not feel like its holding heat at all I am going to get a thermometer but how can u be sure that it has different temperatures in the cage like its supposed to and I thought meal worms and butter worms were treats but hes a tiny thing wouldnt roaches be to big

4. JumpinJellyfish

Baby roaches should be small enough. They're only about 1/4 inch long, and possibly smaller. Getting the temps right and keeping a range between the two ends can be difficult. It's mostly trial and error to find what works for you. :0)
  5. Nyki

Nyki Bearded Dragon Egg

One more thing lol for the uvb tube lights does it have to be one of those horribly expensive reptile light bulb holders or can I just use a normal florescent bulb holder

6. JumpinJellyfish

I *think* you can get a regular one (check tube diameter, like mine is t5, not same as regular household type), but be sure it has a reflector, and remove any plastic cover over the bulb. I can't confirm, since mine is the reptisun one.
  7. kaylynangel

kaylynangel Juvenile Dragon

8. kaylynangel

9. Nyki

Nyki Bearded Dragon Egg

Yeah I'm looking into a bigger tank now this is what the one I have looks like except the bottom panel and the top is mesh and he seems to be doing good but gets black streaks on his belly sometimes is that normal [​IMG]

10. kaylynangel

In
  11. kaylynangel

Please do not get that tank - you need to get a wider tank--- you need floor space on something high-- he will not be happy in that tank---
    kaylyn
  12. Nyki

Nyki Bearded Dragon Egg

No hun that's not the tank I'm buying that's the one hes in now and yes he hates it lol

13. kaylynangel

I am sorry-- oops-- good-- so he's getting black streaks -- can you post a pic of him-- could be stress but I need to see him-- could be just coloring too--
    I will get back w/ you tomorrow
    kaylyn
  14. Nyki

Nyki Bearded Dragon Egg

Heres a pic of the lines they get alot darker sometimes [​IMG][​IMG]

15. kaylynangel

16. kaylynangel

Hes fine -- its his coloring --- I have more info for your little one-- so I see JJF gave you the nutrition site --- also when you get your new tank you can use textured non adhesive shelf liner or a slated ceramic tile that would need to be cut w/ a tile cutter- both are cheap and can be bought at Home Depot Lowes etc...clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50-- i use that in my tank --- please get a infrared heat gun from Walmart Lowes or Home Depot they are around $10 -- they are the most accurate way to take your temps-- here is some info Which UVB light should I use?
    The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
    UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
    -- this lighting is crucial to his over all health digestive and behavior -- if you have more questions or need any more info I please ask and if you have a question I cant answer there is another place that can be asked and alot of experienced dragon owners there-- here is that website --- www.beardeddragon.org
    kaylyn
  17. Nyki

Nyki Bearded Dragon Egg

Did you say something cause all that showed up was the pictures again

18. Nyki

Nyki Bearded Dragon Egg

Ok thanks that is a big help

19. Nyki

Nyki Bearded Dragon Egg

One more question for now how often should he poop sorry about the bold question but I just wanted to make sure he is pooping enough

20. kaylynangel

He / she should be pooping everyday--- babies will go every day when they get older like a year or so it tends to slow down -- I guess their diet will play a role along w/ the correct lighting as well -- if your lighting is not correct its gonna show w/ the digesting etc............ that is why I sent the info for the UVB etc -- basking temps too --- it all goes hand in hand --- wht kind of substrate do you have in the tank? If it is something he can digest I would get rid of it and replace w/ paper towels for now--- you dont want him / her impacted
    kaylyn