• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just Ordered 1000 Crickets

Curtis_Rose

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just ordered 1000 crix for my beardie should be here in the morning. I was wondering how to keep the smell down. I have done alots of searching on this and i was wondering if any of you expeirenced beardie owners know what i can do?. I have heard of dryer sheets covering half of the screen cuts down the smell. I have a 20 gallon tub and lots of egg crate and food and water jelly. Anything im missing? Thanks

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was in a pet store once, buying crix & noticed that the smell was negligible, so I asked what they did. I was told and shown pressed wooden Pellets used for Cat litter. So I purchased some and tried it. It worked quite well for me, mind you I only ever kept 2-300 at a time. I now use Discoid Roaches & don't have the problem.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
While Buying 1,000 at a time may have sounded like a good idea, they may either outgrow the safe feeding size for your BD, or die off (That's when the smell gets really bad) before you can feed them all to a single BD.

Just sayin'

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
I was in a pet store once, buying crix & noticed that the smell was negligible, so I asked what they did. I was told and shown pressed wooden Pellets used for Cat litter. So I purchased some and tried it. It worked quite well for me, mind you I only ever kept 2-300 at a time. I now use Discoid Roaches & don't have the problem.
1) Does your BD have to be a certain age or size to feed Discoid Roaches?
2) Do you get those at the pet store or do you order them online?
3) Are Discoid Roaches better for the BD than crickets?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
1) Roaches can be fed to any age BD. The smaller the dragon, the smaller/younger, Roach you feed, Discoids are very, very similar to Dubia, same care & characteristics, very difficult to tell apart until they turn into adults.
2) I am unsure about where you live, but they are not found in Pet stores here. They are readily available online, I recommend The Roach Ranch for Dubia, I'm unsure if he has Discoids. I have had my own colony for years.
3) Roaches have a much higher Meat\Shell ratio, more protein. So yes, they are a better feeder than Crickets. But there is nothing wrong with Crix.

cybercat

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member

Was this used as a bottom layer of bedding? Were egg cartons still used for hiding? I have this for my cats, rodents and chickens so would like to know how to use it for crickets.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, used like a substrate, they\I just used a layer, like one pellet thick. Then the egg crates for surface area to crawl/hide in as usual, I was quite impressed with how it absorbed the odor.

cybercat

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I love the wood pellets. You can get them cheap at TSC as Equine Pine pellets or wood stove pellets. Either will work great. They wisk water away break down to sawdust and double in volume. No dust to speak of and tatally bio safe so can be thrown outside in garden. We do that with chicken coop. Great fertilzer.

Vincent

Hatchling Dragon
Well I would not recommend buying 1000 crickets, because they will end up dieing. If I were you I would order the amount I need. And I know crickets do stinck, but you cant get rid of the smell.

Renae_nae

Hatchling Dragon
There is a pellet cat litter called Feline Pine that we used at PetSupermarket when I worked there. We would get 4-5000 crickets twice a week and just dump the whole tub with each new batch (catching any live crickets of course). It made a world of a difference...plus they can't hide under it.

Curtis_Rose

Bearded Dragon Egg
Havent been on in awhile i am now on my third thousand batch of crix. After that first order i stopped buying online and started getting a thousand black crix from a local shop for 25 dollars. Anyway this lil guy can eat so much he eats about 50 to 60 crix a day. I ended up using dryer sheets to cover the top of the cricket cage works wonders all i smell in my room is dryer sheets. Also noticed black crix die less often i had two deaths last time i bought vs about 40 with brown crix in a period of just 10-15 days. So i discoved with this dragon a thousand wont even last a month and with the black crickets only a few die off. Thanks for ur replies

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Watch the black crix though, they are generally more aggressive & are more likely to bite your BD, given the opportunity.

Curtis_Rose

Bearded Dragon Egg
yea i clear his cage out and put crickets in theni check the repti carpet around the edges and put everything back in and he has been fine. Also for good measure i leve his salad in there overnight seen one of two crickets eating that at night allowing me to catch them

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Watch the black crix though, they are generally more aggressive & are more likely to bite your BD, given the opportunity.
I was not aware of that, thank you for the warning. I had wondered about them, there's a local pet store that sold them and I had issues. They since moved to the brown ones.

Pat B

Super Moderator
I just ordered 1000 crix for my beardie should be here in the morning. I was wondering how to keep the smell down. I have done alots of searching on this and i was wondering if any of you expeirenced beardie owners know what i can do?. I have heard of dryer sheets covering half of the screen cuts down the smell. I have a 20 gallon tub and lots of egg crate and food and water jelly. Anything im missing? Thanks

Can you please tell me where you ordered your crickets from? Was it online? I need a better place than PS every other day....lol.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Check the For Sale section on the forum. In order to help, people would have to know what country you are in ;).

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
25 bucks 4 1,000 crix?! holy cow!!!! i get my crix from a bait & tackle place, can get 1,000 4 real cheap compared 2 petsmart. just a word of advice ;)

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
oh & 2 keep the smell down just clean out the crix container every 2 days & if u see ne dead 1's, be sure 2 get rid of em cuz they'll kill ur live crix.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
25 bucks 4 1,000 crix?! holy cow!!!! i get my crix from a bait & tackle place, can get 1,000 4 real cheap compared 2 petsmart. just a word of advice ;)
$25 is what my local pet store is selling me a box of 1,000 for :( would like to find somewhere cheaper.

Pat B

Super Moderator
My son fishes so I will see where he gets his bait at. Don't know if he uses crickets for bait or something else. Didn't realize crickets were so expensive....10 cents a piece is pretty steep when they are eaten in a flash!!

Latest posts