• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just looking for closure.

Gomtesque

Bearded Dragon Egg
My beardie has passed away. I got him when I first moved to my current town when I was 8. 12 years later, I honestly thought he was immortal. He became a grumpy old man in the past fews years, wouldn't eat all the time, wouldn't want to be handled all the time. But hed get more chipper after a nice bath, and some quality one on one time. I just got home from work, to find him dead. I don't know of anything that could've done it. I feel appalled because I found him absolutely swollen. I thought it was from the heat, but hes always been so good at moving between his hot and cold side, I also made sure his water dish (that's the size of him to give him a pool to do anything in) was absolutely full. Is there anything more I could've done? I feel like a dreadful human for finding him in such a state and don't know what I could've improved.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
12 is a pretty decent age! Don't beat yourself up - you clearly took good care of him for him to have lived that long. The swelling could maybe be post-mortem gas buildup? I suppose that would depend on how long he'd been dead before you found him. The only real way to know would be to have a vet do a necropsy, but that can be expensive. In any case, I'm sorry for your loss!

Willow Powell

Bearded Dragon Egg
My beardie has passed away. I got him when I first moved to my current town when I was 8. 12 years later, I honestly thought he was immortal. He became a grumpy old man in the past fews years, wouldn't eat all the time, wouldn't want to be handled all the time. But hed get more chipper after a nice bath, and some quality one on one time. I just got home from work, to find him dead. I don't know of anything that could've done it. I feel appalled because I found him absolutely swollen. I thought it was from the heat, but hes always been so good at moving between his hot and cold side, I also made sure his water dish (that's the size of him to give him a pool to do anything in) was absolutely full. Is there anything more I could've done? I feel like a dreadful human for finding him in such a state and don't know what I could've improved.
Gases cause the body to bloat after death. It sounds like he had a happy, healthy, and certainly full life. ❤️ I hope your mind is at ease.

Latest posts