• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just Got My Beardie!

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks so much for all of the help guys it has really been useful. BeeGee seems a little hungry right now. I saw a little lost cricket get demolished as soon as he woke up. I guess I missed him last night. I didn't want to feed him just yet though because of the whole hour thing and he just woke up. However I feel bad because he looks hungry. I was surprised he slept all through the night without a noise, he just slept on his basking branch and was out until I turned the light back on. He is very adventurous and licks EVERYTHING, even my hand haha. He didn't seem to like the sink too much, he doesn't like being enclosed I guess. I've been leaving the screen off during the day and I hope thats okay given the depth of the tank. I will check out some of the stuff I can do homemade. Also I found some sweet mashed potatoes in the fridge, do you think he can have those?

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
be careful soaking in bleach. You would not want to soak wood in bleach b/c it will soak into the wood and you will never get it out. I bake stuff in the oven all the time for mine, rocks and sticks. Bake at 200 for 2-3 hours, turn off the oven and open the door a little, let cool overnight in the oven and remove in the morning.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you are using rocks from outside just wash in the sink with a brush and plain water to remove dirt and stuff then bake.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
One more question. My $35 UVB/Basking lamp melted against the rubber and cracked when I took it off for the night. Theres a small hole in the side, do you think I could still use it?

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yea I was about to ask the same thing. If it was the viv rubber I wouldnt freak out, the exact same thing happened to me. gotta be careful and keep the beam off that part. If it was the lamp that melted....definitely replace it because that sucker is faulty.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
The viv rubber melted but ripped off this piece of lamp when I was removing it.

Heres his lamp
beegeelamp.jpg

Heres his viv
beegeeviv.jpg

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hmm unfortunately that kinda puts you at fault for letting it rest on the rubber like that. But you could try to convince the store otherwise, leaving out the part where the bulb melted to the rubber :p

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well unfortunately I bought from an expo and I emailed the guy and he said to meet him at the next expo which I'm not doing. So idk what to do... Kinda mad :mad:

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yep, don't think it's safe to use anymore. Is the bulb cracked too?

I just noticed, your dome fixture is small. What is it rated? What wattage is that bulb?

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
It goes up to 100 watt. I have another question though. If I go to college and have to transport him home on the weekends how can I accomplish that in the winter (on a train)

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Warm rice bag, in a shoe box should work fine... You place uncooked rice into a sock, heat it up in a microwave for around 2 minutes. Wrap that in a towel, place in the box, and put baby on top.. just poke a couple of holes for air.. and most likely he will have a lovely nap all the way home.
Hope this helps.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks so much it did. My mom is so worried she'll have to take care of him but I told her there must be a way to get him there safely. I'll be having three vivs made up for him by the time college comes around (im a senior). One at my dads, one at my moms and one on campus. Ill only be coming home for weekends so I hope it's not too stressful. Or do you think it is?

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think as long as you keep that routine it will be fine, a bit stressful at first but will get used to it. They are creatures of habit just like people.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
That's good, he's been really great so far. School starts tomorrow so his light times will be different. I bought a UVB from the store and applied it to the lights of america from walmart and it worked pretty well.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
What college did you go to? I just started my fall semester today at Memphis. It's fun to see the campus not deserted anymore hehe. I am one of the few people that goes to summer school it seems.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh sorry if I said it wrong. I go to high school still and I'm a senior there. I'm planning on going to Temple University because its only a 30 minute train ride from home :) and a lot of my school community will most likely be there.

Latest posts