• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just getting started

Stupicide85

Hatchling Dragon
Hey everyone! I am a brand new bearded dragon owner as of just yesterday! I named my tiny little guy Scraggy (after the pokemon) and he is such a well-behaved baby! He looks healthy and seems to love exploring. The only issue I seem to have right now is that he ignores his veggies, but I know he should be eating mostly live prey for now (I've been feeding him crickets).

I look forward to my future experiences on this forum and as a beardie owner! thanks!

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, welcome to the forum. Yeah, they dont like eating their veggies at first, but you should still offer them daily, even though it seems wasteful. Gut load your crickets with the same veggies, that way they still get the nutritional benefits of the veg

Stupicide85

Hatchling Dragon
thatnks for the reply! yeah I took him out a few times today and he did eat some peeled carrots out of my hand and I saw some spinach thrown around the bowl so it looks like he is eating them behind my back lol. right now a bigger issue is the crickets getting lost in the enclosure. I have a blanket in the tank right now and they crawl under it. he seems to love the blanket so I'm hesitant to trade it out for something more level like tile...

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thats what I hate about crickets, they are great at hiding and its not good to leave uneaten ones in the enclosure as they can nibble on your dragon when it is asleep. My solution was switching to dubia roaches, they are a far superior feeder anyway, also sooo much easier to contain and more importantly they dont stink like crickets do. Another option if you dont like roaches would be to feed in a seperate container

Stupicide85

Hatchling Dragon
yeah I am going to feed him crickets in a different area so this doesn't happen again. I got all the crickets out and there must have been a half dozen under the blanket.

Mark the Mailman

Hatchling Dragon
Welcome to the forum! you got a cute little guy there. Ours is about 4 mnths old now and i can't believe how fast she grew so enjoy it when they're tiny cuz its literally a few weeks. Sounds like Scraggy is a good eater. Try some squash...ours loves it

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey everyone! I am a brand new bearded dragon owner as of just yesterday! I named my tiny little guy Scraggy (after the pokemon) and he is such a well-behaved baby! He looks healthy and seems to love exploring. The only issue I seem to have right now is that he ignores his veggies, but I know he should be eating mostly live prey for now (I've been feeding him crickets).

I look forward to my future experiences on this forum and as a beardie owner! thanks!

Welcome to the forum! glad to have you here.. under several of our comments you will find some resource links that cover all area's of care including food links.
I saw that you give him spinach, that is a green you want to avoid as it is very high in Vit A and can lead to vit A toxicity. Better greens would be collard, turnip, mustard and dandelion greens. Keep offering salads each day and in time your little one may take more and more nibbles.. All 3 of mine ate greens as tiny babies.

Stupicide85

Hatchling Dragon
thanks for the help! I did hear spinach wasn't as good for a few reasons, but it's all I have at the moment. working on getting some dandelion or collard greens. I'll tell you what, he sure can wolf down the crickets!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
thanks for the help! I did hear spinach wasn't as good for a few reasons, but it's all I have at the moment. working on getting some dandelion or collard greens. I'll tell you what, he sure can wolf down the crickets!
Oh yes they are eating machines and will eat you out of house and home lol I have 3 and so I have my own dubia colony to support them all. used to do crickets but for a few reasons and with dubia being soo much easier I went for a bug I used to hate lol

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You can put the crickets in a glass bowl and let him eat them that way or you can put one cricket at a time in his tank and wait for him to eat it before you give another. Like someone else said, don't worry too much right now about not eating veggies, give the crickets his veggies and make them more nutritious.

David Crouchman

Bearded Dragon Egg

I myself have just started out its such a great feeling owing a Beardie this is Tunga
ca200ab9906f8acdd26607c0fa54f431.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

David Crouchman

Bearded Dragon Egg

Forget veggies for now that will come Tunga don't eat much veg either. I found he loves locusts and mealworms, I mix a bit of Basil in with the meal worms and he eats a little bit. They eat mostly live food when they are young.

Stupicide85

Hatchling Dragon
I've heard that mealworms can be difficult for the little ones to digest, unless they are the white ones that haven't developed their shells yet, so I'm sticking with crickets for now. thanks everyone for the advice!

David Crouchman

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've heard that mealworms can be difficult for the little ones to digest, unless they are the white ones that haven't developed their shells yet, so I'm sticking with crickets for now. thanks everyone for the advice!
I found with crickets that they just took over the tank if you left any in there. If any escaped capture they breed and starting to nip at my Dragon very hard to get rid. I stick to locusts.

Stupicide85

Hatchling Dragon
I have no way to get locusts and I feed him the crickets in a separate container now so that didn't happen.I was still finding crickets yesterday from 2 days ago! they were hiding in his driftwood....

David Crouchman

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have no way to get locusts and I feed him the crickets in a separate container now so that didn't happen.I was still finding crickets yesterday from 2 days ago! they were hiding in his driftwood....
Yeah that's the problem. You can buy live food online I find that they are really good quality.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
yeah, online is a good place to go for all live foods. Super fast delivery and probably cheaper. I get my roaches from Ebay, just be sure to check reviews and find a good breeder. The good ones usually keep reptiles themselves, so keep everything clean and healthy

Stupicide85

Hatchling Dragon
well this morning he ate a bit of greens after I put him beside the bowl, so it seems he likes them, or at least tolerates them. he hasn't touched the squash yet. do they tend to eat less of the live prey if they have had some greens (even though it didn't seem like a substantial amount)? also, he seems more skittish now when I try to pick him up which is odd. at the pet store and the first couple days handling him (didn't handle him at all on day one) he seemed fine and chill. now he gets very squirmy and tries to get away... he is exploring his tank more and more in the mornings, scurrying about and licking, so that's good.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Well, its a good idea to handle them as little as possible until they have settled in and gotten used to you. Some dragons take to handling a lot easier than others, my female hates being picked up and even now will try to escape my clutches, the male is a lot easier going that way. They are more active at certain times of the day, at those times it will be harder to handle them (at least at first). You will find it easier to pick them up just before bed time, when they have slowed down, so thats probably the best time to get them used to handling.
As for food, they will generally stop eating when they have had enough. I guess they have a cut off point where they feel full. As babies its rare that they eat more than the odd mouthful of greens, some are fussy and some just eat everything, there really isnt a 'normal' standard it varies from dragon to dragon.

Stupicide85

Hatchling Dragon
really wish I had a better container to feed him in. I tried a tub but he couldn't get traction when going after the crickets. now I use a cardboard box and have to watch to make sure no crickets get out (which they do) and gathering the leftovers to go back in their enclosure is a pain. at least the little guy seems satisfied and I can tell he's full if a cricket crosses his path and he backs up away from it.

Latest posts